1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

was cut out

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Reliable Snow and Ice, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Reliable Snow and Ice

Reliable Snow and Ice Senior Member

i was just cut out by a guy that charges 25 dollars for a lot that I had been getting 125 for whats the rule's on what i can do to the guy???

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

A lot of things. But walk away and pick it up next year.

3. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

You can't do anything but feel sorry for him. What's the point of this thread?

4. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

I have an idea, undercut him and charge 15. He will be on here asking how the hell can this guy do it for 15 and make a profit. That will really get him good.

5. Reliable Snow and Ice

Reliable Snow and Ice Senior Member

i'm taking grandviews advise..

6. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

all i can say is.......

wow

7. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

I just saw a sign in a guys front yard that said any driveway for 10 bucks.

8. Ropinghorns

Ropinghorns Senior Member

Burn his plow?

9. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Thats pretty said someone can do a lot for $100 cheaper.

I had a driveway lined up for this year for $275 & lost it to a guy that charges $160.

10. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

I can't understand how these people are making money.
    I am curious how big was this lot?
    Hopefully this guy doesn't last

11. Runner

Runner Senior Member

They're not. Gas, insurance, wear and tear on the truck, brakes, trans., tires, plow, maintenance, shop, shop expenses, portion of energy bill to office, office supplies, and pay taxes on what is left over. Do the math. This guy is into the negatives,.....believe ME.

12. paradise1229

paradise1229 Senior Member

Walk away. You will get it back after he sees he can't do it and is a no show.
    Turn arround and maybe charge a little more just for them going with that scab.

13. eshskis

eshskis Senior Member
    from 4

where did you get this intell from did you talk to him? who said he was getting 25.00

14. tinkenboutit

tinkenboutit Junior Member
    from zone 5

No insurance. No taxes. Steals gas from his day job. Got the truck and plow for free. "It's only beer money." "I lose money on every job but I make it up in volume."
    Or maybe what Eshskis said.

15. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

They will be calling you before winters over just keep your head up and wait for him to fall on his face.

16. tinkenboutit

tinkenboutit Junior Member
    from zone 5

He also probably plows the drifts for half price.

17. fletchxxx

fletchxxx Junior Member

do nothing !!!!!!!. , move on i have a 21 driveway route one storm, 2 drop off for many different reasons. three more call, it all works out in the end a good customer base at the end of the year to build on, i have craigs list ad, and local news paper ad. $99.00 month. i bill 1" to 7" $35.00
    7" to 14" $50.00
    14" to 21" $70.00

21" to blizard storm a fair price $100.00 not one complaint so far 30 years plowing in Boston area north

18. paradise1229

paradise1229 Senior Member

if you don't mind, can you email me a craigslist ad you're using? I'd like to see how you
    have it worded. I'm in Warren,OH so you don't have to worry about competition.
    chmiller1229@yahoo.com

19. ultimateinc

ultimateinc Senior Member

its happing all over it sucks. just sit back and laugh cause after hes done plowing that lot it prob just cost him $25 out of his pocket. just sit back and wait then buy his equimpent in a year when he needs money thats what i did to 1 company that did it to me he was charging way less than me and finally after 2 years all his stuff was for sale so i bought alot of it for half of what he was asking then told him thanks for screwing up the market

20. daninline

daninline Senior Member

I have seen alot of this stuff this year, people keep looking for quotes all winter now I think

WOW.jpg