1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Warranty Related Issue BRAKES 12800 MILES

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by agurdo17, Jan 31, 2012.

1. agurdo17

agurdo17 Senior Member

Fellas i have an 09 350DRW dump body that has 12,800 miles on it and still has 7 months of warranty left.

Took it in for inspection today and dealer says brakes are down to absolutely nothing. Is this normal for this truck and do i have any real right or warranty coverage for new breaks.

2. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I wouldn't think that normal wear and tear would be a warranty item.

You would have to show that there was some defect in the brake.

Are both (or all four) brakes worn down? Even though you have low mileage, do you do alot of heavy towing or hauling with it?

3. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

I don't know about the F-series, but I can tell you on the E-series SD, especially the rear brake caliper slide pins like to seize up, causing a spongy pedal and uneven brake wear. I have experienced this since the new body style came out in 08. If that's the case, the only way to fix it is to replace the caliper and mounting bracket. At 12800, you might be able to get Ford to warranty it, but brakes usually have a 12/12 warranty on a new truck. Good Luck.

On a side note: Its not uncommon for us to get 80k out of a set of brakes on a 08 and newer E-Series. The best I have ever done is 85k and the worst is 60k. These vehicles never leave the county and travel primarly back country roads

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  4. oneoldsap

oneoldsap Senior Member

Sounds like somebody is driving that truck like a sports car ! If a truck is driven like a truck you should get 25,000 between Brake Jobs .

5. agurdo17

agurdo17 Senior Member

Well i think part of the truth came out. long story short i became partners with someone and this truck was his and now is ours.

he just told me that the truck was messed up upon delivery. said that it did not come with integrated brake controller. OK that's normal i said. but he said he had the dealer put the integrated one in. he also said the truck came with the seven pin wiring receiver and that the dealer said it should be all set if he put the integrated in.

So he put it in and immediately had problems with it. It always says trailer brake fault and or trailer brakes malfunctioning. The dealer looked at it and said that it needed to have a trailer brake module put in it and that would cost 600 dollars.

So he had been driving it using the trailer brakes by manually squeezing the trailer brake controller because that's the only way it would work. So now that that's out of the way. Is the dealer blowing smoke up our butts cause he cant figure out whats wrong?

600 bucks for a module when the truck can come with a integrated control for 250 and a tow package for 177........ whats going on here.

6. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

I like the built in brake controller idea, but unfortunately I'm sure there's some computer that is tied to it for the tune of $600. if its not installed at the factory:confused: My suggestion would be, go down to your local RV dealership and have them run a new harness from the front to the back and just install a "normal" aftermarket brake controller. I bet it wont be more than a $150.
    Even though the brake controller was never working properly, I cant believe that you have warn through those pads in 12k+ miles. I think there still might be something else going on

7. Murphy4570

Murphy4570 Member

Somebody's been two footing the truck for those 12,000 miles, for sure. Riding the brakes!

8. chasity2682

chasity2682 Member
    from canada

I can tell you that i am dealing with ford right now because my F350 v10 is getting 6 miles to the gallon on the hwy and that's not towing anything or plowing, My truck has 11,250 miles on it right now and they are trying to tell me that the calipers are probably seized and that they are known for this problem, they also told me it will be $180 just to look and service and if there is something wrong it is my problem because it is part of the regular Maintenance, since then i have done my annual safety and the brakes came back perfect, lots of pad and even wear now they want to charge me $100/h to run blind test:realmad:
    I left it at that, sad to say but i think i might be switching my ford for a bow tie

9. ChrisFromBoston

ChrisFromBoston Junior Member

All FoMoCo vehicles with floating rear calipers seem to have issues with the rear slider pins becoming seized from moisture contamination over time which of course is exacerbated by salt. I find pulling them apart, cleaning and re-lubing them once a year is key to staying problem free.

From my recollection, adding the integrated brake controller on the trucks where it was an option requires a PCM re-flash in addition to the module itself. If the previous owner added the controller but didn't pay the dealer to re-flash the computer that could be the reason you're having problems with that. Check FTE or Diesel Stop for more info. The brakes themselves I agree that it sounds like a defective driver and not a warranty item.

chasity2682 I know how Ford deals with warranties in Canada varies from the states, but they should only charge you if something is found that's not covered under warranty, not charge you up front to diagnose a problem. Maybe try a different dealer?

10. agurdo17

agurdo17 Senior Member

our truck gets 10-11 on freeway running around 60......4.5 plowing 6 towing

11. agurdo17

agurdo17 Senior Member

the part that is needed to make the stock brake controller work if it is it was not equiped with the trailer package is a whole new master cylinder unit. don't ask me why. that's just what the ford dealers computer told me. they were dumb enough to put the brake controller in and then decide after words that we needed another 800 plus dollar part to make it work correctly.

lol 770 bucks to get the truck inspected. whole brake job 420. another 200 just to change a couple marker lights on the dump box. none knows good business anymore. they just charge their hourly rate regardless of whether it make sense or not. could have done it in the shop for 30 bucks and 30 min worth of work. lol if it don't make sense to charge 200+ dollars to change a couple lights then ya probably shouldn't!

12. agurdo17

agurdo17 Senior Member

sorry for the triple post. we have 2 fords and a chevy

01 chevy 2500hd no rust 120,000 miles no major problems oil filter and oil.:mechanic:

03 ford f350 box is absolutely shot rusted out, both manifolds replaced and one is cracked again, tranny replaced, all brake lines replaced, full exhaust replaced, 4 coils replaced,needs cab corners 130,000 miles

09 dump 12000 miles, all new brakes, both manifolds replaced, not enough electrical power to run a plow and it came with plow prep package, f350 cab and chassi that didnt come with a trailer package? Service Guys dont give a **** about helping out as far as doing any work for cost of parts or anything. Two of my friends that bought the new ford diesels both have had there engines tore into to replace an oil pump for theirturbos. less than 4000 miles each.

sorry just ranting. sick of putting money into fords and being able to see right through the box on the truck. especially when they are washed a minimum of 3 times a month. did i tell you working on their brake systems sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bow Tie from now on. again sorry for rant:gunsfiring:

13. RepoMan1968

RepoMan1968 Senior Member

rotors and brakes . happens real quik with out monitoring or maint . DONT try cheating cutting the rotors $$$, it's not worth it . BELIEVE ME