1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Warranty question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Tim Baden, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Tim Baden

Tim Baden Member

Anyone heard if you put a plow on a GM 1500 series truck made after january 2005 GM can and will void your warranty?
    My father inlaw who is retired from GM said he heard about it.Checked with the local chevy and gmc dealers they said it's true depending on what problems you bring the truck back for.
    One thing they did say was if the air bag ever deployed and you had a plow setup on it even if the plow was not on the truck at the time of deplovment your warranty is void.
    They all so said if you have any transmission problems even if it isn't related to plowing the warranty will be void.
    Was curious if this is really true or the sevice reps didn't know what they were talking about.

2. bergys

bergys Junior Member
    from nj

I believe that is true. That kind of truck is really not made for a snow plow to be on it. It probably is not and will not have plow prep on it. The front end will not handle the wear and tear that a plow can do to it. I would believe that from the service guys.

3. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

I just went to Chevrolet.com and went through their "Build your vehicle " program. The "Snow plow prep package" Is still available on a 1500 LS with 5.3 engine option....

4. Tim Baden

Tim Baden Member

I emailed GM and got the response back today,they said quote "We don't recommend this it could cause warranty voiding of specific items covered under the new vehicle limited waranty"end quote.
    Sounds like you just take a chance at doing it.
    But then why sell trucks with a plow prep package makes no sense to me but I wouldn't chance it.

5. danno

danno Senior Member

Maybe BEFORE you buy, dangle a "I`ll buy it, BUT I need to have it in writing, from the dealer, that if I get the snow prep pkg. and the plow, they will cover items not caused by wreckless, or misused actions". :jester: