1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Warranty question on a 2006 Ram 1500 with plow.

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Tahoe99, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Tahoe99

Tahoe99 Member
    from NY

I would like to hear if any of you guys had any issues with the factory warranty after putting a snow plow on a new truck. I realize that nobody has same scenerio as mine.
    Here is my situation (some of you have seen my posts):
    I just got a new 2006 1500 Ram Megacab with Hemi. Although it is a 1500 series it is built on a 2500 QuadCab long bed chasis, meaning it's got solid axles with 8 lugs. The owners manual reads that 1500 series trucks SHOULD not be used for snowplowing, but fails to distinguish between the reg 1500 and megacab 1500. I weighed the truck and there is way over 1000 lbs room between the unladen front axle weight the the max front axle GAWR. I would install an old 25D series snoway. I guess it weighs about 700 lbs (Basher - correct me : if I am wrong:)

I asked 3 dealers and 2 said I am OK, one said without snow prep package I am not, and if it's 1500 it's a no-no.

What's your opinion on that ?

I am thinking if I need to go for a warranty work, I'll remove the mount and harness.

Thanks all

2. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Just about everyone's going to tell you not to do it with a 1500. I had a Blizzard 760LT on my 1500 last year. The truck handled the plow like a 3/4 ton. Basically make sure your dealer will back the warranty. As long as they say yes i'd say go ahead. The only time you'll have problems is if you burn up a tranny, motor or anything else expensive that they need to bring a rep in to authorize the repair. I had my truck in for a leaking rack and they didnt even mention a plow being on the truck.

3. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

RideHard is right, if someone is willing to put a plow on the truck, go for it. But just be sure to get it in writing from your dealer saying they will cover repairs. And be prepared to pay for things out of pocket.

Thats a big truck with crappy turning radius (about the same as mine with the salter on) don't take on small drives or ones with turns or ones that are off one-way streets. and get full length tube step-bars, they will help protect your doors from snow/ice chunks when cutting the corner to get into driveway.

4. Tahoe99

Tahoe99 Member
    from NY

I am not commercial...

I do not plow commercial. I just do my driveway and a friend's. It'll get used probably 4 time a season.

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

It's all about the dealer. Use your dealer for regular service, create a relationship with their service dept. they'll be on your side if they can. They get paid for warranty work, if they say it's warranty the factory rarely argues.
    700 is a good conservative number.
    You still need ballast.

6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Yes, it all depends on the dealer, but to be sure not to void the warranty - if the owner's manual says it shouldn't have a plow put on it, then don't put a plow on it. Even if you take the plow frame off it, any decent tech is going to be able to tell if it had one on it.

7. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

we put a plow on my brpthers 02 dakota so he could pick up some driveways, and blew the tranny, the dealer coverd that under warrenty, so it all depends on the dealer, we did take the plow off of it tho before we got it towed, and told them we wernt plowing with it, lol but non the less it got replaced.

8. Dakota2004

Dakota2004 Senior Member

I argued with my dealership about the mega cab being set up like the 2500 too and they said they didnt know at first and then they made a few phone calls and said nope you will void the warranty.:nono: I dont understand seeing the truck is basically a 2500. I currently have a 04 dakota and I really want to put a plow on it but I know something will totally go wrong with my luck. Good luck

9. Dakota2004

Dakota2004 Senior Member

oh yeah one more thing I`ve been looking at all the different trucks and the dealers are all different when I call like with Dodge, I asked one rep "oh will I void the warranty on an 06 ram 1500 QC", it was hooked up with the tow package, anti spin rear diff, and some other crap the guy was like oh no no no it will def take the plow everything will be ok. called another dealer they were like absolutly not we'll void the warranty. I dont know with these guys I think they're jus trying to make the sale and then change the story and ty to screw me.

So now my decision is that Im waiting and going to get a Ford 250 TD

10. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

I was told by a dealership plowing with my 1500 would kill the truck in less than a year. It plow one Buffalo winter without a single problem.Heck I've had a few people (including a guy at the dealership) ask, "you're plowing with a diesel, why do you wanna do that?! I think its all a ploy to get guys to buy more expensive trucks. I think you'd even be ok plowing light commercial lots. I really dont get it. Going back a few years 1500's were available with the plow prep package.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2006
  11. Tahoe99

Tahoe99 Member
    from NY

Can't understand the dealer.

When I was buying my truck, I said if I can add the plow package after that. They said it would cost me too much $$$. I know It's just different alternator and skid plate - 2 items totaling maybe $ 500. So my question was since 1500 Megacab/Hemi and 2500 Meagacab/Hemi are same trucks (firmer springs), what's the issue ? They could not tell. In most cases the customer knows more about the truck than the salesman (that's for sure) and in some cases more than the shop manager.

12. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Get a copy of the warranty and read it...
    Hanging a plow on any Dodge truck Voids the warranty.. Plow prep group or not..
    Just because it's optioned out for a plow, does not mean it will be covered by the warranty.

There is more to the plow prep group than a Alt & a skid plate that is listed in the sales flyer's. You get heaver springs, HD transfer-case, anti spin rear-end, tranny cooler, power steering cooler......

I have plows on my 98 & 01 both have been to the dealer
    (under warranty) & (3 different ones) for tranny problems and a couple of other problems. Yes! I had a of problem with service.
    Did they cover it? yes!
    They wanted to charge a small fee. I said,:realmad: NO way! they said I should pick my battles since I have a plow on my truck..:cry: lol

They will fix your truck because the dealer wants your continued business and they make money from fixing your truck under warranty too. So, why would they turn you away?

Just don't mention the plow or any thing other than that, you plow your own drive....

If the 1500 meg-a-cab was the same as the 2500 they would cost the same.

Yow mean to tell me you pay more for a 2500 badge than a 1500badge?

We don't need any stinking badges!!!:realmad:

There all the same, 4 wheels right?

13. Tahoe99

Tahoe99 Member
    from NY

Plow package

Snofarmer -

I've been trying to get the answer for 1500/2500 Megacab difference and no one can tell it. They have same trannies, rear ends. The max GVW is few hundred lbs more on the 2500 - thus heavier springs . I posted this question on the RV forum, and it seems that maybe people pay more for 2500 badge on that particular vehicle ( the price diff is 2200). As for the plow package, it costs just $ 190, so if it was all the extra coolers, locking diff (seaparate option), heavier transfer case, HD springs, etc it would cost more.

Maybe I do not know something, and I mean it in non sarcastic way. Unless we find a member working for Dodge, we won't know.

Thanks

14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You get a lot for your money on prep groups. My 01 2500 gasser had the "camper special group" on it. Consisted of lots of extra springs, and a rear sway bar, cost $93.00, I had a another truck a 97 an wanted to add just the springs, the cost of parts alone was almost $1,200.00.

The "official Dodge website" doesn't list a Plow Prep group for the 1500 mega cab. it also dosen't list skid sheilds as an avialable opinion.

Try www.Dodge.com for the

15. Tahoe99

Tahoe99 Member
    from NY

1500/2500 Megacab

Yes Basher -

the plow prep option is not avail for 1500 MC. I think the 1500 badge for Megacab was more of a marketing trick to get people to buy "light duty 1500" truck if someone wanted megacab but did not want a 2500. I checked the window stickers on 1500 and 2500 megacab on the dealer's lot. They listed same engine, same tranny, same axle size/type ( not ratio). Then I opened the door and read the door sticker with the front and rear axle weight ratings, almost same between 2 models. My GVW is 8510 lbs which makes sense since when i went on truck scale it weighs 6500 lbs empty with a payload of 2000 as per Dodge brochure - so the numbers add up exactly. The 2500 max GVW is something like 8800 lbs, so go figure. The only think that makes me wonder is the $ 2200 price difference between base model 1500 and 2500. Maybe SnoFarmer ha s a point that there are things on 2500 gas model that make it stronger than 1500. I'll install my Snoway on it anyway, I am almost done fabricating the custom mount for the 25D. I really plow just my driveway and a neighbour's. And my mount is utilizing the existing holes and bolts on the frame. It takes me 30 min to take it off with an impact gun.

Thanks all.

16. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

The reason they don't want you to plow with the mega, is that the maga cab puts more weight on the front axle and it's components.
    Seeing you are going to get this truck mainly for things other than plowing.
    AND
    You just want to do your own drive and one or two others now and then, RIGHT???
    Then you should be o.k.. Take it easy plowing and get a set of timbrens for her...

But remember with the mega cab you can't add as much cargo as you can with
    a club or Std cab

Last edited: Aug 18, 2006
  17. Tahoe99

Tahoe99 Member
    from NY

Thanks SnoFarmer

When I weighed my truck I got numbers for the front and rear axle, then I compared it with the max weight for each axle and each has almost 2000 lbs room to spare (never combined both of course :), so with 700 lbs plow I should be OK. From what I read from the pros on this forum (and it makes perfect sense) long trucks are far from perfect plowing vehicles. Luckily I am dealing with a straight driveaway that widens up at the bottom, so I'll be just doing straight push, back up and down again. And I just hope that I do not need to visit my dealer for any reasons :)

I bought Megacab mainly for the room in the cab (2 small kids with car seats), and to tow my trailer (5-7k lbs) and haul the yard staff around, wood, lumber, moulch, so in my case the 1500 is just the right size.

Thanks

18. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

On my 01, 2500,club cab, long box, with plow group, tow group, camper group and 4:10 rear the front gvw is 5200lb and the rear gvw 6084lb. for a combined gvw of 11284 lb nope, only a gvw of 8800 total.

Just throwing some numbers around, lol

For what you are doing it will be fine. Just remember to have the fluids changed yearly. tranny, trans, front and rear diffs too. if there is any grease Zerks on the truck grease regularly, especially if your plowing allot this winter.

The dealer never mentioned the plow until I made a stink about a small charge that I should not have had to pay. lol. I've posted the story before.

I believe you should not have any problems with your warranty just don't mention the plow and they woun't ether.

Hey!! what pink elephant???:D
    sitting where? lol

19. Tahoe99

Tahoe99 Member
    from NY

Amen SnoFarmer :)

If I ever have to go for a recall or warranty work, I'll take it off including wires - why risk stupid questions from the service manager. I am planning to have the front hitch installed anyway after each winter for backing up my trailer to the end of my property sometimes so if anybody asks about the rust spots or extra hole on the frame - "I had a front hitch here" .