1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Warranty Issues with a diesel

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Johnny V, Feb 17, 2004.

1. Johnny V

Johnny V Member

I am looking at a new Dodge Diesel. I will be doing small plowing projects but wondering if and how people deal with warranty issues.

Some places seem to void your warranty if you have a plow on a diesel. They will not let me get the diesel and the plow prep package but I know my alt and 1 ton suspension will be fine for my plowing needs....

Anyone have any ideas or stories about this situation???
  2. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

On my Gmc, I had the dealer send out my truck and had it installed before I got the truck. This way you get plow included truck financing 0 % 60 months. Gm has $900.00 up-fit credit to any aftermarket equipment ( plows, dump bodies, salters, etc.) you just need to show you trade name papers or Tax id certificate to qualify.
  3. TwoPuttTommy

TwoPuttTommy Junior Member

I bought a brand new 2003 F-250 Super Duty Diesel last September, had Ford finance the plow as part of the deal.

I think it would be pretty hard for Ford to say a plow voided the warranty, when they knew what I was going to do, because the dealer arranged the plow installation, and Ford Credit financed it...

I looked at the Dodge's also, but went with a Ford for this reason:

I don't see a lot of Dodge trucks out there with 120,000 + miles on 'em.

Maybe it's just me; any Dodge folk out there still pushing after 120,000 miles?
  4. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

They should not be able to void your warrant because you plow. Plowing does not affect the engine but it does affect the trans, transfer case, and front end. So if they want to get picky when you have problems they can. My truck doesn't have a plow prep package either and my dealer knows i plow. I talked to them and they said if i had problems they would work with me. :D :D
  5. jkitterman

jkitterman Senior Member

What is going to matter is what version of the truck you have. You seem to be able to get plow prep on a reg cab long bed 2500 diesel but not on a quad cab long bed. Mostly, you have to pay attention to the front axle weight rating with the plow attached. According to Western's website, my 2500 quad cab, long bed, diesel can only take their 7.5 regular duty plow. I think I am limited to about 630 lbs for plow package weight.
  6. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Problem with NON-Standard cab trucks and plow weight is that the manufacturer must calculate front end weight with a full load of passengers.

Every seatbelt is figured in with a 200lb passenger.

Some Ext and Crew cabs can seat 1200lbs of "people"! Then they weigh the front axle. With a full cab of people, there is generally not much more front axle/spring capacity.

This is why most manufacturers prevent snowplow prep packages on ext. and crew cab diesels.

What YOU need to do is get in the truck and pull on to a certified scale, weigh your front axle, and minus that from your FAWR.

Most likely you'll be fine.

BUT.............It'll depend on the dealer as to what gets covered under warranty. If its a failure that can be attributed to excess weight being carried on the front axle, they you'll likely have to eat it. ANYTHING ELSE being denied by warranty is B.S., as the REST of the truck is the same as a Snowplow prep package truck.
  7. Johnny V

Johnny V Member

Thanks Dodge does have a "work truck" rebate and one of the choices is $900 back if I get a plow. Maybe I will try and get the same thing as you turfmower.

I was scared that I would get some crappy over priced plow from some Dodge "affiliate" but I guess I will cross that bridge when the truck gets in.

TwoPutt: I am surprised you said that. The reason I AM looking at the Dodge is because the strenght of the Cummins name. I have a ford diesel now and love the 7.3 liter. All us 7.3 liter people are not impressed with Ford's 6.0 because of all the problems they have had since the their introduction. People love the power of the 6.0 but some of us are scared of the how they are new and have some problems.

JK: We talked about this on another thread as well. I did go and check that out and the 7.5 RD should be perfect for my work. Smaller plow is less weight and hopefully will help me get around the lot better seeing the truck is a "bit" long.... They also recommend about 900 lbs of ballest and I plan to have a small hitch held salter back there.

Now if I can only figure out to go with the top addition or the SLT with all the options. I tell you no matter what way I do it I can not get ALL I want..... What a scam!

Will keep you guys posted. Plan to pick the dealer I will use this week and then I will speak with them about possibley getting the plow put on with that $900 plow rebate they have going. If they do it you know I will be asking for advice on what to get as I am sure they will only give me 1-3 options!
  8. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Options?? I doubt you'll even GET an option. It's probably whatever plow-shop they deal withs best seller.

As I said before, go with an 8' plow.
  9. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

mostly it will fall on your dealer if your warantee technicaly dosnt cover having a plow. if the dealer goes to bat for you and looks the other way you will be fine. If they want to get picky and a PITA they will slow you up big time and make it a PITA but then the manufacturer has to prove that what ever you did or didnt do was the cause of the failure. If you put a N2O set up on your truck and blow the bottom end of it out they technicaly have to prove that what you did caused the failure. or didnt do in the way of service like extended drain intervals or what ever. Now the proving part means that lawers will get involved and its a big pain and headache and the truck will be down.

My advice is
    1. Get to know your dealer and see how linent they will be before you buy and possibly get it in writing. a letter wont mean you will definatly get waranteed at another dealer but it should cover you from them.
    2. Dont exceed the front axel rating. With a diesel and especially different cab configs you wont have much room to play with in the way of available weight left over.

We should make a warantee post sticky since this comes up quite a bit ;)
  10. ratlover

from IL

When figuring out how big of a plow you can put you cant just take it to a scale and subtract the weight from your FAWR and then figure "I've got 850#'s to play with so I can use an 849# plow and be fine" You may be fine but you WILL be OVER your FAWR. Remember that the plow hangs off the front a bit and acts as a big lever effectively increasing the weight of the plow. Take a 50# block and hold it at your chest, not hard right? Now hold it straight out in front of you and see how much heavier it feels? Fisher has a very good formula and explination on theri site and they can figure out what plow you can run if you talk to them with all the info even if it dosnt "fit" on the chart.

BTW after I worked all the deals/financing I told them "I will buy the truck if you send a check for the cost of the plow over to Koenig and roll that into my financing." I chose the plow and even installed it myself and still got the benifit of financing a plow for 6 years at 1.9%

With the longer wheelbase you will run over your windrows while turning. Chose the plow you want and if they want to stick you with something else tell em sorry.
  11. Johnny V

Johnny V Member

Thanks guys.... TLS I am definately getting the 7.5 or 8 foot plow as you suggested. Nothing fancy no V-plow etc, to heavy.

I am doing all my research on this and the only hold back will be the dealer. I am hoping that at least let me choose the brand. I would love to put mine on myself like you did ratlover!!!!

When plowing with a stick what is the best style controller to use and do you have the controller in the right of left hand??? I am right handed.....

OK who wants to give this newbie a lesson..... Actually anyone live in the south Chicago area I would love to learn for an experienced person and I will buy lunch.....

No idea how to plow like a pro.... Doing small lots and driveways for friends but not sure how to do it well. Would love for someone to show me plowing or even just mimick it if there is no snow. Like my driveway.... about 3 truck lenghts long. Do I just back drag the best I can for 1-1.5 truck lenght, turn around back in, and push the rest?

Would love a 1 hour lesson if anyone is around Oak Forest and REALLY knows their stuff.... Free lunch ha ha ha :drinkup:
  12. TwoPuttTommy

TwoPuttTommy Junior Member

I got the 7.3 in my 2003; was worried about the 6.0 - not enough of 'em out on the road, plus, I'm always worried about any "version1.0"

The 2002-2003 winter, I broke the frame on my '92 GMC 3/4 gas; the guy that welded it told me "no big deal; I've welded these before." Asked him how hard it was to weld a Ford frame; he said he didn't know; had never seen a broken one.

Made the Ford decision a little easier, for me.
  13. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

we went through this with our f350 crew and ford told me i can void warranty by adding a remote starter or winch believe me that truck can take it
  14. ratlover

from IL

Installing is pretty easy and straight forward if you have the place to do it and some basic tools/knowledge. It also gives you a better idea how stuff goes together so you have a better idea about how it works and should be able to fix it better and trouble shoot it. IMO

What your describing is the way you have to do it. If you are doing alot of resi or needing to backdrag things a pull plow will save lots of time.

The controller is all about personal preference. I like the handheld style and drive mostly with my left and control the plow/shift with the right. A slick deal for a stick that I have used is a joystick mounted on the shifter itself so you never take your hand off the stick.

Peoria is kinda a trek for you but I would be happy to lend some experience. Its kinda hard to get a feel for actually plowing without snow......maybe a quick trip through some different lots to show were the stuff normally gets pushed and such. I do mostly larger comercial stuff. Trying to do some ride alongs with differnt guys is a great way to get some insights though! I wouldnt mind sitting shotgun with a contractor from a different area since some guys have some realy good ideas and do things second nature and make you think "man that was simple and why didnt I think of doing it that way"
  15. apkole

apkole Member

Two putt,

1999 3/4 Dodge Cummns - 131,000 miles Uses no oil between changes (every 5000 miles or so)

1991 3/4 Dodge Cummins - 172,000 miles Uses no oil between changes.

Both trucks have plowed since new. But then we are a small operation, only about 400 accounts or so.

16. Johnny V

Johnny V Member

Twoputt: You are a lucky lucky man..... I know those last 7.3 liters where very wanted for those of us who knew what we where looking for.

Apkole: I like that news.... Confirms that Dodge is the truck I should look at. Also now the diesel is 84% quietier so i can not wait to get out on a test drive. I plan to order it this weekend!
  17. Johnny V

Johnny V Member

Twoputt: You are a lucky lucky man..... I know those last 7.3 liters where very wanted for those of us who knew what we where looking for.

Apkole: I like that news.... Confirms that Dodge is the truck I should look at. Also now the diesel is 84% quietier so i can not wait to get out on a test drive. I plan to order it this weekend!

ratlover: Thanks for the info and the offer. maybe one day I can make it down there. I just need to hear exactly what you are saying. What way would you push it, where would you stack it, would you back drag the parking spots or push them, etc....

Also a joystick on the manual would be a great idea..... I am very handy so thanks for the advice I am sure I can create something like that. At least now I know what kind of controler to get when I order the plow....

OK Dodge just gives you $800 back if you order a truck with the plow upgrade and prove you won a business!!! They will not let me put the plow upgrade on the diesel so I have to pick a smaller rebate... DAMN
  18. ratlover

from IL

they sell the joysticks ready to mount like that....or some co.s do. i know myer does