1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

warranty issue/ raised torsion bars??

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by newhere, Dec 29, 2009.

1. newhere

newhere PlowSite.com Addict
    from Fenton

i have the torsion bars on my 2008 2500hd d-max raised/tightened all the way to the max to compensate for the boss v-plow. Now the front axle is making some noise and i know something is broke and or letting loose. I know this problem was not caused by the torsion bars and heavy plow but im worried the dealer is going to give me a hard time or even deny repairs because i have the bars cranked and a 8'2" plow on a diesel truck when that truck is only rated for a 7' straight blade.

has any one run into problems with this sort of situation?

think i should turn the bars back down?

in conjunction with the mud tires and a edge computer they may try to bend me over.

2. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

Unless they know what you have on it, Crank the bars back down and take it in without the plow on. They do not need to know what plow you have and unless they are a BOSS dealer they probably wont know

3. newhere

from Fenton

i planned on taking it in with no plow for sure.

i just didnt want to mess around with the bars again. ohh well .

4. overtime

overtime Senior Member

I would turn bars down for sure. Not sure what they'll say

5. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

i would turn your bars back down and put the tune back down to stock! i know ford wont even warrentee anything that has been chipped or programmed!

6. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I agree with these guys. Dealers are really cracking down on guys running power adders. Unfortunately you can't remove all evidence of the Edge as there will still be a tap in the manifold.

7. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

I'm not sure they would care or even know about the bars but make damn sure that tune is back to stock before you go in there. They sell new one with plows so that shouldn't matter, every chevy on the road with a plow has the bars turned up. Always better safe than sorry though, it will come down to how good your dealer is. A good dealer won't care what is done as long as that is not the reason for the problem.

8. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Bars turned to the max is probably what broke something in the first place. Shouldn't need more than 4 or 5 turns, and if you do you should look at timbrens or air over gas shocks.Torsion bars turned all the way is a bad thing.

9. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

The WARRANTY is for factory defects. It is not a 5 year/100,000 mile, if I break it during the warranty period, I can get it fixed free. If it is a factory defect go in and have it fixed. If you where plowing in the highest power setting on your programmer, man up and pay for it yourself. I am sure that the plow didn't break anything, but the t-bars should not have been cranked to the max. I am a little disappointed at all the responses. I guess lying and cheating is the american way ussmileyflag

10. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

He doesnt even know what the problem is yet so there is no way you can say it is or is not a result of cranking up the tbars and running an Edge. Take a few deep breaths....

11. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

I agree with mossman on this one. The factory rated the front axle with a specific GAWR and the engineers at Boss decipher'd it for you and told you you could run a 7-1/2' straight blade. In your infinite wisdom you put an 8'2" V and cranked the t-bars outside the factory z-height setting, and than ran more than stock power to it. Your are a crook if you take this in for warranty work and contributing to the demise of GM. It most certainly was the t-bar crank and plow that broke your front axle.

Oh, and were you running the recommend amount of ballast weight.

12. newhere

from Fenton

lets get one thing straight, the problem has been present for two weeks. i did the bars 11mi ago so that surely wasnt the cause. When i bought the truck it had the programmer on it and the deciding factor for the purchase was whether or not gm would void the warranty. now the dealer i bought it from said no way is that programmer a problem and even sold me a extended power train warranty so i have a sturdy leg to stand on even if i have to take it 200mi back to the original dealer.

i do see the seal leaking on the front axle and i know that wasnt caused by a plow being put on.

trust me gm will be fixing it.

13. mossman381

Why would you crank the t-bars all the way up when you think you have an axle issue? If you have a dealer that said they would warranty the truck, why are you on here asking if a dealer will warranty your truck? I am sorry that I don't agree with you on warranty work. I just put a plow on my 08 silverado and probably voided my warranty, because of people like you.

14. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

If you have the plow prep package on it I would take it in and expect it to be fixed under warranty. My dealer said a few cranks on the bars will not void anything, so crank yours back to something reasonable first. If you have no plow prep on it and they see the BOSS mount, then you might be screwed. And mossman, how exactly does your warranty get voided over this situation?

15. mossman381

My warranty gets voided because of years of people breaking their trucks using plows on them and then taking them to the dealer and wanting the repairs to be fixed under warranty. If this guy really thought he had a factory defect, why is he undoing all his modifications. I like to modify my truck too, but when I have a problem I don't take everything off and then take it to my dealer. Am I the only one that thinks warranty work should be for factory defects?

16. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

Here's my question to you: If my transmission starts to go because I plow snow, is that a factory defect? Should I not get it fixed under the 5 year/ 100k powertrain warranty? You're saying I should take the truck in and tell the service manager at the dealership, "don't worry this one's my fault. I plow snow so I abused that transmission. This one's on me."

That sounds stupid right?

17. mossman381

Let me answer your question with some questions. Do you think your transmission will last 5 years/100,000 if you do not abuse your transmission while plowing? And you stay under your GVWR when towing? How about if you plow trying to stack like a frontend loader and shift into reverse at 5mph? How long will your transmission last if you are towing 10K over the GVWR? How long will your transmission last if you put a programmer on add 300ft lb of torque and go drag racing? Do you get where I am coming from?

GM has done their homework and under normal usage things do not break. There are factory defects that happen and that is what the warranty is for.

I just put my plow on this year. Lets say in three years from now my ball joints are shot. I will not take my truck in trying to get them replaced under warranty. I really don't think that will happen because I think the ball joints will handle normal plowing.

Every time gm fixes a problem that is not a factory defect, it will affect everybody that buys a new truck with increased cost and more things that void the warranty.

18. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

I still agree with mossman. Just because you've only had the problem 2 weeks and your bars have been cranked 11 months doesn't mean it's not the bars and plow. Any mechanical device will take a certain amount of overloading for a certain time. Eventually fatigue wear will catch up to you and something will break. Your trans example is bad too, simply plowing with a truck is not outside it's intended use, nor is towing. But plowing with too heavy a plow, with too much power, etc, etc is outside the intended use, similar to towing too much. You have very clearly gone outside the intended use in several areas, which is different then just maybe being a little "hard on equipment".

I'm not saying that cranking the t-bars = voided warranty, mine are cranked on my 1500 to level. The fact is I'm still in the z-height range, so if I had a waranty (used truck) it'd be peachy.

19. newhere

from Fenton

no you read that wrong the problem has ben evident for two weeks and i did the bars for a 11 mile drive home because the tires are 285's and are rubbing to bad to turn. im sure the tires will just add fuel to the fire.

moss man i agree with you also, if i blow my transfer case out because im plowing with a 9'2" V with wings in 12'' of wet snow i wouldnt call that the dealers fault nor would i want them to fix it.

but this problem has been avedent for a long time and i know for a fact it was not caused by the bars or the plow (plow hasnt been used) i can just see the dealer trying to make this a little loop hole.............. but that loop hole turned into a noose because over the last two days they (and seven others) faxed me a invoice and quote on a 2009 2500hd duramax 4x4 with a installed by them 8'2" VXT. i stated my greatest concern was the warranty being void with a plow on it. ALL SAID IT WOULD BE NO PROBLEM and put it in WRITING.

so they will sell me the truck but wont back up a warranty?

let me ask you a question mr.Moss, does that seem "right" to you? is that a ethical and value based way to do business?

20. newhere

from Fenton

sorry but you wouldn't catch me dead putting a 7'6" plow on a 2500hd truck. i run a business and i need to be efficient to make money. For a home owner or a week end worrier...... yeah...... lets get real if gm's work trucks cant handle a "real" plow then they need to step up the the plate and put a real axle and suspension under them. (no i dont mean a solid axle, lets not start that fight)