1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Warranty Claim ??!!##

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by scottL, Jan 4, 2010.

1. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

First off I really like my sno-way's and this is the first claim I've ever made on one. Motor went out, local dealer took care of it. The issue is this....

-I paid up front. List for the motor, labor and a little up charge for it being Sunday. Not that I knew it was list at the time ( $100 more than any where else )

-I'm told that the shop will file the paper work and it takes a full month for Sno-Way to respond. In the mean time I sit and wait.

-When Sno-Way finally warranties the unit they will credit the shop and the shop will then charge me the difference....... I have known no other industry who does not have set terms for material and labor on warranty.

This has to be the most screwed up process I've seen. They should for sure take off their website the claim of the "best warranty in the industry".

2. jjcc246

jjcc246 Junior Member

your foot should have slipped off the brake and gone through their front window and plow display. then call your insurance company to get your money back. that is the stupidest policy i have ever heard of. a warranty is a warranty. you bring it in, they fix it, you drive away without paying a cent. let the dealer then deal with the company. just like the big boys do in the car industry. i love my son-way but that's enough for me to buy elseware. now i'm pissed !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

this was on a new(er) plow? within the warranty period? I would have flipped out.

Just another reason my next plow will not be another snoway. Parts are rediculously expensive, I need a new edge on my 28v and it was going to cost me $900 to do with snoway. I ordered the rubber center piece for $160. and brought the blade to my steel shop and they custom made me a new set of edges with doubles on the end and a curb guard for $325.

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

If the unit is less then 2 years old it should be covered. The dealer only has to fill out the paperwork. Warranty covers labor as well. There is a flat rate sheet with all the codes every dealer should have. They allow for diagnostics and associated labor. If the dealer has attended service school they will pay him his posted shop rate.There is no reason for you to have to pay the dealer. Unless the unit was beyond warranty. Sounds more like a dealer issue then a Factory issue.

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Once again the dealer. That is far above suggested list.

6. scottL

It is a new Sno-Way. Original registration card was sent in to Sno-Way in September and the plow put in service for the first time in it's life in December. So, yes ... the plow is under 2 years by 1.8 years.

I had contacted a Sno-Way sales rep and he backed up what the dealership had said to me. Now I am thinking I should contact my credit card company and file an objection..... I just feel screwed.

Basher ... Is there something in writing on how a Sno-Way warranty is suppose to work from a dealership/factory??????

7. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

sadly yes, but thats the problem. a dealer is an extension of the brand. if that dealer tarnishes a plows rep it's that much harder for me to keep that piece around. there is no dealer support to speak of here. just this year we had someone pick up the line in CT near me. I was thinking 'great, finally I don't have to drive 45 min for a part if I need it.' well when I blew a hose a couple weeks ago I figured I'd give them a crack at it, basically they told me i was SOL and it would be 10 days (and $40+ shipping) before they would see a part. I took it to a hydraulic shop and had one made up for $18. I tried again with ordering a new edge and the curb guards and was basically told the same thing. If a dealer refuses to stock common parts then I can't see how I can run that unit. Downtime is a customer loser in this industry. Luckily my plow has been relatively trouble free, but it does have certain quirks that I see as potential problems down the road. I will keep the plow as a back up and swap it onto another truck but I will be going to another brand as the local dealer has parts in stock.

You've always been helpful to me and countless other snoway users on these forums, if my local dealer was like you I would probably be singing a different tune. but its these few stories I've personally experienced and others I read about here that just put foul stink in my mind when I think about another snoway plow. As a business owner I just can't risk downtime and waiting on parts for days for common parts.

8. BayStateGlenn

BayStateGlenn Member

I don't know of any manufacturer that "pre-pays" the dealer for waranty service.
    Typically the dealer does the work, submits a claim, then gets reimbursed by the manufacturer.
    But the dealer wouldn't ask for payment from the customer. He's gonna get paid twice then issue a refund? Thats weird.

The only reason that I could think of for a dealer to charge a customer would be if there were some question if the issue fixed was a waranty issue or not. Then the dealer had to cover his butt in this case.

9. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Replace the junk center rubber piece with a steel one. I got the other edges for $120 a side too.

10. scottL

If there was a question .... that should have been stated. However, this one is a clean straight up warranty by a sno-way certified dealer. One bad motor with no abuse, misuse or alterations.

I've contacted the Sno-Way rep via email last night. If I do not hear back today I will call tomorrow then I will call my credit card company and simply stop payment. What happened to the good Ol Sno-Way who wanted to be better than the big guys were ??? ( Honestly, I recently made a warranty claim on western and it was a breeze.

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Agreed, funny how dealer mis-conduct gets blamed on the factory. Occasionally we get a borderline warranty claim and ask the customer to cover the parts cost until we confirm but they are very rare and never on a unit installed that year.

12. scottL

I would agree is the warranty is not a sure thing then the dealership should cover their tail and explain this to the consumer. No big deal. I'm even good with paying a little premium bump on a Sunday service but, the normal and accepted labor and material charge should be between the dealership and the factory as all warranties go.

My latest communication with the Sno-Way rep was a little weak. They simply forwarded my email on to the dealership.

I am getting the impression there is not much of an infrastructure behind the name Sno-Way anymore :cry:

13. BayStateGlenn

BayStateGlenn Member

I assume the reason that your email was forwarded back to the dealer is that your beef is with the dealer. Sno-Way is not going to throw one of it's dealers under the bus by stating that the dealer was charging you unfairly... and that seems to be what happened.
    I think your barking up the wrong tree.

14. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

No, you're "barking" up the right tree as long as you're trying to find out how things are SUPPOSED to be handled. You're questioning whether or not the dealer followed the correct warranty procedure, and if they didn't, the district rep is exactly the person that should know about it so they can consult with the dealer. From a rep standpoint, you want the dealer doing things the way the parent company wants them done in order to keep the customer as happy as possible. It happens all the time where one idiot at a dealer will tarnish a brand's impression and the results roll down hill (this is an example: we're on the internet talking about the company/dealer).

Either way, this seems like a terrible warranty procedure as warranty implies factory coverage against defects. It doesn't sound like a questionable part failure at all, and if it's Sno Way's policy to run their warranty like this, they're hurting their dealers and customers. It seems like it'd be better for them to take a risk and keep the customer happy rather than piss everybody off.

I never heard back from you on the 4x4 issue. Where's my info?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  15. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

:nod::nod:

I have never had an issue with a claim as obvious as this one seems to be either under the old SNOWAY direct or the new Distributor system. All warranty claims are handled by the distributor. In the OP's case it would be PACE distribution. So it would be the PACE rep you want to talk to. Sorry I cannot help with a contact name as I work under a different distributor.

16. BayStateGlenn

BayStateGlenn Member

Unfortunatly the manufacturer can not dictate proper business practices to it's dealers.
    I'm sure "pre-payment for waranty work" was the dealers idea and is not a Sno-Way policy.

Now if a Sno-Way rep were to tell the customer that, well, I don't think the dealer purchacing thousands of $$$ of product would take very kindly to that.

17. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

The dealer'd be pissed, but the mfr should kick the dealer's a$$ for not following a procedure setup to keep the customer happy. Everyone loses. It sounds like Sno Way has a strange warranty setup according to Basher, and it doesn't sound very customer-friendly.

18. BayStateGlenn

BayStateGlenn Member

Nothing strange about Sno-Ways policies... just this dealers. Not sure if anyone else here has had this type of experiance.
    It would be nice if Sno-Way would stand up for you though. It's gotta be frustrating when they won't even make an effort to communicate with the customer.
    I think the credit card chargeback is in order here.

19. scottL

Here is the latest update.

The REP from Sno-Way only forwarded my emails on to the dealership. How wimpy can someone be. The dealership then called me up and actually swore at me and told me to call Sno-Way to tell them they were not the bad guy. I don't fricken care.

The Company points the finger at the dealer and the dealer points the finger at the new distributor system. I'm screwed in the middle.

I hope Sno-Way is reading this...... I have one maybe two more plows and one maybe two new v-boxes I am planning on buying for next season. After this first warranty claim experience, a limp wrist-ed rep and the fact one of my guys saw another plower driving down the road at 40mph with his NEW REVOLUTION on the ground sparking away because the plowed failed to lift.... Makes me think twice about Sno-Way in the future. :angry:

I am the consumer, I do not care about Sno-Way's back channel processes. I care simply about the plow, warranty, service and future product selections.