1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Warrantee Voided????

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mac3897, Jan 2, 2003.

1. mac3897

mac3897 Member
    from MA

I have a 2002 Ext cab 4wd z71 with heavy duty trailering package. Does anybody know off the top of there head if putting a 7.5 foot fisher on will void the entire warrantee???

just trying to figure out if I should wait till the warrantee expires next year or not.

Thanks
    MAC

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

It could viod certain parts of it,mainly the drivetrain,front end,and alternator,better talk to your dealer before you buy the plow.They may work with you,or they may tell you its void.I know your truck doesnt have a plow prep pkg,that alone should tell lyuo something may be amiss with the warranty.I know that truck will handle a plow,but you may be your own warranty station afterwards.

3. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

With Chevy's... if you don't have a snow plow prep pkg on your truck, anything that fails on your truck during your warranty period that can be caused by plowing will not be covered. Which in my mind is silly because Chevy's snow plow prep pkg, consists of a heavier-duty alt, wiring porvisions, and usually a trans cooler, but that also comes with the trlr. pkg. They do nothing to increase the front end capacity, or anything alse related to plowing

4. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

Torsion Bars?

Matt

Are you sure the plow package doesn't come with heavier torsion bars?

It did on the classic body style. I can't say for a fact on the new style.

John

5. John DiMartino

Matt, i think in your case your warranty would be unaffected so long as you didnt abuse/neglect the truck,and you have a good dealer. The 1500's warranty is gone,due to overloading,if they want to be technical,the plow overloads the front end,overloaded trucks are not warrantiable,its in black and white in the owners manual.Since the 2500's front end isnt overloaded,and they cant show you lack the trans cooler,you should be ok,but this varys from dealer to dealer. When i worked for a big dealer,i warrantied everything that was covered,so long as it wasnt accident damage or abuse/neglect.We didnt care if it had a plow or not,we covered it in 99% of the cases,since we wanted the repeat business of the customer,especially plow guys who buy new $$ trucks every few yrs.

6. Just a thought,

My 98 GMC 2500 with snow prep pkg had to have the sterring box replaced due to leaking seal and sector shaft. They told me that because they had to take off the plow frame to get to the sterring box, that I had to pay the labor to remove the plow frame since the warranty does not cover removal off accesories. Cost me $65.00 an hour x 2 hours. I didn't think they were right because the truck has the plow prep.

Just a thought about the warranties. Bob V

7. SnowMatt13

warranty voids

At my dealership we also will warranty most things on trucks with plows, but the abuse and neglect items. Abuse and neglect can be determined by our service director, manager and tech. working on the truck. As far as torsion bars some 2500HD's with plow prep, do have something called "increased front end capacity" but I'm not sure if it's included in plow prep, I'm pretty sure it's not, but I will check at work today and report what I find tonight. Although I have seen on some 1500's on the window sticker a "increased front end capicity" option. Costs $100 or $200, and have seen some sno-way plows or WESTERN standard plows on them. Last we had my truck in the shop (with plow prep) and one exactally the same without the plow prep option, and looking under them the torsion bars were the same. I'll be back with more info later. If anyone needs info about Chevy's I can usually get on our dealer-linked computer at work to find out what exactally is in a snow plow prep pkg, and etc. so if I can be of any help please ask and I'll do my best.
    HAPPY PLOWING!!

8. mac3897

mac3897 Member
    from MA

more info

Well upon talking to my dealer. They said that it depends on what type/weight i put on the truck. They said that I should be covered as long as I put a 7.5 foot or smaller plow on.
    They seem to be a really good dealer to work with as this is my 3 truck i have bought from them.

9. SnowMatt13

warranty

If you found a dealer to work with you- stick with them, it will be best for both of you in the long run because if you're a regular and you get into a jam, they may help you out more than another guy. As fas as plow prep pkg goes, I looked it up in the 2003 silverado sepc. books... snow plow prep is avail on all 1500 models EXCEPT 1500LT, and HD models. In Chevy's decsription of plow prep, they define it as: 145 amp alt, high notched bumper, 10 amp relay for back up alarm or roof mounted lamp, wiring provisions for roof mounted lamp(strobe light, highlighter, etc.) and a on off button in cab for roof lamp. A salesman also told me with the 1500's the heavy-duty front susp. is recomended. but we could't find anyting on what that consisted of. The heavy duty front susp. is standard on the 1500HD, 2500HD, and 3500 models, and a option for 1500 and regular 2500 (8600#) models.

10. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

VOIDING WARRANTY

Gm will NOT honor any warranty work on a 1/2 ex-cab or
    1/2 4 door truck. Only 1/2 ton reg cab or most 2500s can
    you now get plow prep pkg.
    WHY ? Gross vehicle weigh as I was told.

Gm assumes you will plow with 6 passengers and plow
    rig and exceed the 6400 lb. GVW on a 1/2 ex-cab

On a 1/2 reg. cab you will plow with 3 passengers and
    plow rig and NOT exceed the 6100 lb. GVW.

Weird huh? I almost found out the hard way and had to
    go to a 2500 ex-cab last year ! Strange tho some Gm dealers
    had 1/2 ex-cabs with plows dealer installed and they would
    honor any plow related warranty work !

This is why Ford and Mopar DO NOT offer plow prep or
    advise you to plow with their 1/2 tons.................geo

11. SnowMatt13

As far as bigger torsion bars go on the new body style.... I'm not sure if they are bigger or not. On the window sticker of a truck under the snow plow prep option it says "increased capacity front springs" (I think that's how it's worded) But, silverados don't have springs so I assume that means bigger torsion bars, but no one can find out why Chevy says "springs" when they don't put springs on the front of their trucks

12. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

springs

Torsion bars are springs, just linear springs vs coil springs. And even though the physical dimensions appear to be the same, ie diameter, the heavier torsion bars have a stiffer spring rate.

13. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

snow plow prep

<On the window sticker of a truck under the snow plow prep option it says "increased capacity front springs" (I think that's how it's worded)>

So as one would expect, the plow package includes heavier springs, thus increasing load capacity.

14. SnowMatt13

Thanks for the info. It never crossed my mind that torsion bars can be considered springs, something I overlooked:eek: Now it makes more sense that Chevy says springs! Thanks:)

15. mac3897

mac3897 Member
    from MA

second question

As i already stated. My dealer claims that they will NOT VOID my warrantee but in the event that they go back on their word.
    What are some of the first things that usually need to get fixed and there approx costs if available as this plow will only be used for my own driveway and maybe 3 or so others in my family.

Thanks for all of the info.

MAC

16. John DiMartino

Mac,Im not telling you what to do by any means.I would like you to think about this for a minute.The other driveways the 3 your going to do,would you have to pay to have these done if you didnt have the plow? The only reason I say this,I have a few friends that have done the same thing here,once you start doing their driveways they own you,why beat up your truck,and risk the warranty to do your own place,and 3 others? What would it cost to have your driveway done seasonally,you could probably get it done for 10 yrs for the price of the plow alone,not to mention fuel,wear and tear,repairs,and damage done to truck(scratches,dents,accerated rusting).After you plow a few times, the novelty will wear off,and it will become a job,especially in deep snow,just keep this in mind before you beat yourself,and truck up,for literally no profit at all.Mounting the plow ,then getting no snow,dismounting it then getting snow remount-etc.. it gets old quick,Depending on who your agent/company is you may have insurance issues driving with a plow on,especially to propertys you do not own/lease.Check with your agent before you get on the road with the plow.All Im saying here is do you really want to do this? If i didnt plow for $$,I would have a beater truck,with no plates/insurance to do my drive with,not my truck,to much beating/scratches,and its not leaving the property on a free snowplow route list.

17. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

mac3897

Whatever plow you put on is going to increase wear on things like ball joints, tierod ends and pitman/idler arms, and suspension components like shocks and torsion bars. You can minimize this by purchasing a (relatively) lighter plow, removing it when not plowing, and not bashing down a mine field, err, rough road at 60mph.

If you are careful, and treat your truck right, I don't think you'll have a problem. However, I understand your concern on a brand new vehicle, and the question of voiding warranties. As others have said, find an understanding dealer.

Hope this helps, if you have specific questions, feel free to ask.

John

18. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

re reading

Just reviewed a little of this post...

I understand the need for wanting equipment to take care of your own drive. That's one of the reasons I got into it. If this is all you do, and you don't mind the work of the on/off thing all the time as you will probably drive it as a regular vehicle as well, your truck and your plow should last a long time.

For me, I am able to accomodate a reasonable plow route with my regular job, and can even make a decent buck when it snows.

If all you're gonna do is your own, and the family is also for free, if you can afford it all, fine. But I probably wouldn't buy a new truck and a new plow just for personal and family use.

19. mac3897

mac3897 Member
    from MA

John

I appreciate your advice, I have not made my final decesion yet and though i would "ask the experts" . Although i do not plow right now I had a small route several years ago and besides the good money it brought in I did actually enjoy doing it. I may start with only a few drives but it is possible that it may turn into more as the years go on.

I also do realize the cost of the plow vs the cost of paying someone else to do it. For the amount of time i plan to keep this truck and plow I beleive it would be more money to pay for someone else. ( and there is no way I am going to shovel them all :) by hand ) I have also contacted my insurace agent and there is no additional insurance that i need if I am only doing the above driveways. ( i know once this hopefully expands that i will have to get additional insurance) and I have already though about taking it on and off ...this would not be a factor.

Fastjonny. I really didnt just buy a new truck for this. I have had a truck for the past 9 years to do various things including deliverys. It just so happened that this truck is only 13 months old. I figure I might as well put it to as many good uses as i can :)
    My day job may accomodate a small route as well....i have to start somewhere i guess....lol

Any more advice.....keep it coming. I will gladly accept it.

Thanks
    MAC

Last edited: Jan 12, 2003