1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Warning lights

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Got Grass?, Jul 4, 2002.

1. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

93 degrees 60% humidity & all I can think about is the cold. :rolleyes:

Currently all I have is a cheep walmart $16 blinking amber light.
    Odviously it's not very visible & I need something better.
    Whats good but not to expensive? What is everyone using?

We are required to have a 360 degree visibility warning light.

Something that has a decent flash rate, bright enough people can see durring the day (in summer) when I'm parked on the side or a road and something people can see from arround a corner when I'm hiding behind a snowbank. & when it's really comeing down still visible from a distance.

I'm not concerned about power consumption.
    $1-150 range.

2. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

Your best bet is probably a mag mount/cig plug strobe light. You can get one for around $100

here are some sites to look at-

I found my roof strobe on ebay for $60. Just go to ebay and type in whelen.

:waving: :waving:
  3. billfires

billfires PlowSite.com Veteran

warning light

Probably the best value is the target tech "Highlighter" from Northern Hydraulics. It is a dual bulb rotater with diagonal mirror. You can get it with magnetic mount for $99.00. I ordered one and they had free shipping. It is item #163547-f744 and is 16"L x 7"W x 5"H. It has 80,000 candle power and 285 flashes per minute. If you choose to permanently mount the light you can unbolt the 4 magnets and either disconnect the cigarette lighter plug or just remove the end and connect it to a switch. Hope this helps. Bill C
  4. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

I got a halogen rotating amber light from Galls for $55. They are Signal Halogen Tear Drop. A heavy duty type that can takes the vibration. It works very well in both day and night. It have strong magnet on it and hold down well on the roof. I think you could get a stronger magnet from Galls if you need it. I also run hide-a-flash strobes in front and rear amber signal lights on my truck, but I usually use them during the night because that is when the visibility greatly increase.

Here is the link to Galls website for halogen rotating light.

5. GMCplow

GMCplow Junior Member

You might also want to check out the Code 3 website while you shop around on the web. Code 3 has a variety of beacons appropriate for plowing. Most folks in the amber market around St Louis use the "6105 LP beacon". Two rotators with a mirror between, hard wired or magnetic mount with cigar cord. Available in variety of colors to meet varying local codes.

If you move up a notch from the beacons to the mini-bars (see web site for pics), you can also get features such as steady burn side lighting, or rear lighting, etc.

Here's the site URL: www.code3pse.com

6. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

hey gmc plow.
    i used to work at a emergency light store. i know everything about them. i would thing the highlighter would be the best light
    for a snowplow. they are very bright!!!they are not very much money either. i know a place where you can get them for 75.00
    email me for more information. thanks.
  7. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

I run the "Highlighter" on my trucks and love it. Great for me.