1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Warning Lights

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Chevy05, Dec 11, 2005.

1. Chevy05

Chevy05 Member

I think that most of you use strobes in your lights.. Right?

Well are Fire Department uses 03' Silverados as our Chief's Vehicles
    They have a Whelen 9m Lightbar, Front alternating headlight flashers, and grille LEDs, and we also have something that is never discussed on here, something that is Very effective, Rear Taillight Flasher, ( flashes brake and Reverse lights alternating, they are very bright and eye catching, and dont take alot of money out of your pocket....Just thought I'd share.

Have a Good One,
  2. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I will second that one. Our squad cars have have the tailight flashers and they are attention getters. The only squad that doesnt is the shift commanders car which is unmarked so they have strobes in the reverse lights and the tailights. :salute:
  3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

so, when you out plowing snow do you play cop and fireman with all of you lights on? It's surprising that some of you are not using a siren as you drive around,:eek: you know so some fool doesn't run in to you. lol:waving:

If you are a cop or fireman or just want-a-be, Want until you working as one to play one.
  4. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

I've only ever seen one truck in the Detroit, MI area with those (taillight flashers) plowing last year .... i believe there illegal to have just like headlight flashers .. but i still see poeple useing them while plowing .... just my .002
  5. plowman777

plowman777 Senior Member

i bought the strobes but havent installed them yet...i would rather break a law then get slammed.
  6. QuadRacer041

QuadRacer041 Senior Member

hey are you popo from quadzone????
    you plow too, lol?
  7. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I agree.. I'm a firefighter but that does'nt mean that I need to have a lightbar, 8 corner strobes, leds in the rear window, leds in the grille, and a siren. Do you guys know your pushing snow, and not landing aircraft. If you can't be seen with just a mini-lightbar or maybe a 2 or 4 head corner strobe kit. You are either doing something seriously wrong, or there are some really bad drivers on this site.
  8. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

O.K> how is a light going to stop someone from hitting you?
    Every day cop cars and firetrucks are slammed, and they have lights and sirens..
    Breaking the law won't stop someone from slamming in to you..
  9. Ken1zk

Ken1zk Senior Member

Rotating beacon and 4 ways have done the job for over 11 years for me. :drinkup: As a operator you have to be looking for traffic too, just because you have a light on and are pushing a pile of snow does not give you the right of way.
  10. CyberJay

CyberJay Junior Member

I notice the difference this year running corner strobes vs. previous years when I had a single orange beacon on the roof. I catch a lot of people looking at my truck now than before.

It seems around here like pretty much no one uses lights at all. It's a good idea. I did LOL at the landing aircraft comments though... You can go overboard for sure.

11. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

How about this....you dont put a rear tailight flasher in your trucks and the rest of us will worry about ourselves.:nod: Warning lights have been discussed alot on this website and yet a very little number of people can just accept the following: If I want more lights on my trucks, i'll put them on because "I" want them...if you don't want them, don't put them on. At no point did I anyone say that you had too...SnoFarmer:salute:
  12. BigDawg

BigDawg Member

One might want to consider that maybe some of us are avoiding landing aircraft. Yes indeed everyone is entitled to thier opinion, but don't jump to a conclusion without the facts. I have a contract at an airport in NJ and all my equipment has warning lights. I ask all sub contractors to use them too. No I am not talking about do airport parking lots either for those of you who are thinking that. I do tarmacs and taxiways and am in radio contact with the control tower to warn me of taxing, landing or departing aircraft. So am I playing cop? They call them Warning lights for a reason. Hey, if a guy wants to spend $1500.00 on lights to plow his own driveway, so be it. I have state permits for all my pretent cop lights and they are legal. My $0.02 worth.
  13. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

For a guy that says he is a cop you should know better!!!!!
    you can put whatever you want on you truck, it is yours.
    But you of all people, a cop!! Should know that you are breaking the LAW if you use them on the streets.....
    And when did I say I wanted taillight flashers?
    I use a AMBER light mounted on the Roof and thats all.
    NO amount of lights are going to stop a accident.
  14. THE BOSS 1975

THE BOSS 1975 Senior Member

we don't use our strobes to avoid accident we use them to get the drivers attention.....accidents are accidents the people were too damn busy reading the newspaper or talking on the phone to pay attention to lights ,but i can tell you this a big majority of people do see them .i have never had any problems picking up accidents with 14 strobes!!!!!!!!!wig wags are illegal were we live even on tow trucks that do municipal work..... My plow trucks use amber strobes 2 in the rear back up lights and 2 in the plow assembly then 2 in the front turn and so far we have a clean record .its not how many lights you have its whos paying attention:gunsfiring: :angry:

just my thoughts
  15. plowman777

plowman777 Senior Member

if ur more visible , less likely to get hit..when i make a mistake
  16. Groundmovers

Groundmovers Member
    from NE CT.

How do tail light flashers differ from your 4-way flashers... are they both not red when they flash? Not sure how they could be illegal as long as they are red and rear facing.
  17. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

It is the alternating flash pattern that is a no no.

I see this more as a keep up with the Jones issue. There are those that have them and want to justify their use. Then there are those that do not have them and maybe don't see the need to spend the extra cash.

I see it as marketing and sales making them more available and know there are guys that always want the new toy. I admit to being one of those to a point. I was 1st that I know personally to have a computer in my house back in 83. I was 1st to get a car phone back in 86 when they had 2 big boxes mounted under the seat and the phone was a wall mounted hard line with enough wires and juice that it required its own battery source.

But really it is all about usage and if it helps me. Both the computer and phone was for my business. I was a MAC tool distributor and both gave me a upper hand on SnapOn and others. I see the lights as more of a toy with some use.

I have the strobes on my Dodge but not on my GMC. I put them on my Dodge because I got tired of people telling me they did not see my flashing light. I only use them when backing in the street or when going from entrance to entrance on duel drive lots. I have neither on while just driving unless it is near white out or foggy conditions. I have found they do help me get noticed a bit more and are nice when pulling out from the drive thru's on the Wendys I do as most have blind sided drives.

I could accomplish the same thing with a dual rotator or putting my flashers on like I have always done in the past 20 years I been do'ing this when the topic of strobes was not even a thought. The strobes are nice but for the time of install and running wires my next truck will just get a dual bar on top. Cost wise it just makes better business sense, to me. We ,or most of us, have been plowing long long before these lights were available or seen as a "need".

I see the problem more as stupid drivers. With the strobes I still have had close calls with the person saying they did not see me. Stupid drivers have been around since before any of us were plowing and will be around long after we are gone. I agree with a few of the others here. Do what the hell you want,spend what you want and don't worry about what the next guy is do'ing. As I tell my son each time he leaves the house.

I know you are a safe driver just watch out for the other guy as there will always be the stupid one that wont see you.
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2005
  18. vipereng2

vipereng2 Senior Member

here here:gunsfiring:

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

i think a lot of the guys who run all these lights just think there cool, but the sad thing is your not. lights are over rated any way.:waving:
  20. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

I agree POP. What a man puts on his truck is his own business. I am a firm believer in visibility for safety, but I also believe that as a driver it's ultimately your own responsibility to watch out for others rather than hope they see your lights. This debate is an old one here, safety versus supposed show-offs or cop wannabees or whatever. The bottom line is we are all smart enough to know what the law says in each of our states and if we apply a little common sense to the weather/visibility conditions, each of us should be able to decide how many and what kind of lights are good for us. If you make the wrong decision, it's up to the local cops to tell you so, not a fellow plow operator. We all have our own ways and as long as you respect mine, I'll respect yours. JMO.