1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Warning: Beware of Plow Thieves

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mark Oomkes, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

This might be a local issue, but we have had numerous plows stolen in our area again of late. I don't know the details of them other than most have been Boss V's and one was a ProTech pusher. They even used the owner's loader to load it up.

I thought it might be for scrap, but since the price of that is way down, not sure what the motivation is, other than the 9.3% unemployment rate here in the great state of Michigan.

Just a heads up for everyone to keep an eye on their plows and if any of the dealers have someone wanting to sell a bunch of used plows.

Maybe the mods can make this a sticky??????

2. All Season Lawn

All Season Lawn Member

Thanks for the heads up

3. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

Thanks ...!

4. bharry20

bharry20 Senior Member

i don't think it would be stolen for scrap. that would be a big red flag pulling on to the scale and turn in a unused v plow for scrap!:rolleyes:

5. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

The scrap yards seem to accept the most questionable of materials. I do agree, thefts will be on the rise. :mad:

6. bharry20

bharry20 Senior Member

not around here. even more so if it is a new (or slightly used) item. then you have to prove that the item is yours to sell, be it a pink slip or whatever documentation. granted you don't get caught sitting in line as it is a minium 45 minute wait around here just to get to the scale due to the lack of brain power by the people running the scrap yard.:dizzy:

7. Mark Oomkes

Yes, of course you are correct, because I'm sure thieves don't have torches or plasma cutters.

What was I thinking?

Good grief, a local high school had their bleacher seats stolen before school started this year, so I think a cut up plow or one that looks beat would be pretty easy to scrap. We had guys cutting off catalytic convertors and turning them in.

Doesn't sound so stupid now, does it?

8. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

The cat converter problem is a nation wide thing. I saw a segment on the news about it. And thats one of those things that you can't really protect yourself from.

9. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Look like I need figure how to make lock on it that they can't cut with tools. But I am sure they won't try steal when my truck in backyard.

10. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Great news! Thanks Mark.

11. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Good post. we have seen a e-60 cut off the bottom (where the bolt goes threw ) than stolen. what can you do with that ?:dizzy: I think its poor biz men that are sabotaging others. :gunsfiring::gunsfiring:

12. timberseal

timberseal Senior Member
    from 46385

$46 a year and your plow is insured...... at least thats what it runs me through AMFAM

13. bharry20

bharry20 Senior Member

okay lets try this again, i tried to reply eariler but was rudly interupted by the whole "SERVER IS BUSY" thing! I am not saying they won't steal plow to take to the scrap yard, they can but it's not practical. why would anybody waste the time to steal somthing that small and cut it samller to disquise it, they could just go steal somthing bigger and get more bang for their buck. trust me O2 isn't cheap. also the bleachers were most likely aluminum, a metal that is worth alot more than steel! if you want to be a scrap yard watch dog go ahead, but that wouldn't be my first place to keep an eye out. chances are those were stolen to be sold and used or just to be used by the theives, as this is the time of year they are in demand.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  14. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

because they are call dirt balls, trying to make a buck there bharry20 and they do'nt care what it takes to make a quick buck especially if they are unemployed!!!! (HELLO)
    it's the samething as them screwies takin converters out of the exhaust pipes because of the metal in them? called no screwpales bud, I see some snopin around my crap or my neigobors the P.D would'nt be able to come quick enough for that poor fool. be walkin with a seaver limp for life (LOL)

15. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

It does make you think thats for sure.

16. Mark Oomkes

What littleo92 said. But when scrap prices were $200ish a ton, you don't think that would pay for a little 02?

Yes, the bleachers were aluminum.

As to why? These guys were going through the MDOT park and ride lots cutting out the cats, you don't think these guys are desperate for cash? You do realize that criminals by definition are not intelligent, right?

But whatever, if you don't like what I said, don't read it.

Thanks, we do agree on some things. :D

17. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

people around here and in pa used to steal gaurd rail and scrap that.

18. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member

Scrap was $250 a ton over the summer for short steel but is about $60 a ton now so I dont see all the scarp guys out anymore. I don't think it matters why, but you have to have a set to steel a plow, this summer they were steeling everything out of locked garages for scrap. A plow is not something you can just pick up a throw in the back of your truck. Times are tough, you guys in Michigan could be in a lot worse trouble than you are now, GM might not be around next year.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  19. MAR4CARS

MAR4CARS Senior Member

Next town over from me (Southington) they cut a hole in the fence at a public storage place and cleaned out 135 units on Saturday night.

20. cornbinder

cornbinder Senior Member

i had a friend of mine, that has a 80's for f-250 for sale in his front yard with a o/s western plow set up in the bed. he was out in his garage late one night last week, when he noticed 2 guys with a late 90's super duty that had taken the blade out of the back of the truck and half loaded onto their truck when at that point my friend snuck up behind them ,with a 2x4 in hand when up to the side of their truck and hit it as hard as he could breaking the 2x4 and leaving a dent on the side of the truck, the theives jumped in the truck and hit the gas and the blade slid out the back of their truck. needless to say he got their lis. plate # and reported the incident. havn't heard what the po.po. did yet, just thought i'd share. the thing about it is the plow they were stealing was a piece of junk, looks like it has sat at the bottom of lake erie for a few years and then pulled out. MORONS!!