1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

warn winch

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Louiso, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Louiso

Louiso Senior Member

okay i have a warn winch on my atv.

i have had this winch for 3 or 4 years now. Lately it has had a mind of its own. when i want to raise my plow, the winch doesnt do anything till i shake the atv so the plow swings then it will raise same when i want to drop the plow. It doesnt do it till its been worked for atleast and hour, but today when i let it cool down for about 3 hours+ after doing about 8 driveways it still didnt want to raise and drop the plow until i would shake the atv or drive left and right really fast.

any ideas or help would be very nice.

i dont know if this is in the wrong place because i need help with my winch witch is my equipment but its on my atv!

so sorry if its in the wrong place
  2. Carlo

Carlo Junior Member

The only time I a problem simular to yours was my battery was shot. But doing the side to side shake didn't do anything for me.
  3. Louiso

Louiso Senior Member

i dont know why..i have pulled the winch line out like 10 times nd neatly put it back in.....now i dont think that at max 1 foot of line in and out would cause a birds nest and not let the line out till i shake the line out of the birds nest
  4. Carlo

Carlo Junior Member

the birds nest happens pretty much as soon as you let a little too much cable out, it doesn't take much.
  5. JN16184

JN16184 Member

It sounds like a bad ground or switch. Start with the ground, since it's easy. Check the connections.
  6. Louiso

Louiso Senior Member

okay i will look when i fix the horse shoe and bolts that hold on the plow mounts
  7. sjcolwell22

sjcolwell22 Junior Member

You have a loose connection at a solenoid or battery . When you shake it its most likely making better contact. Or possibly a bad wench motor.
  8. Louiso

Louiso Senior Member

okay thatnks. i will have them check it when it goes to the shop here in the next week or so