1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Warn Wench Cable Fraying

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by bigdoug, Dec 5, 2008.

1. bigdoug

bigdoug Member
    from NE Ohio

Issue: My cable is showing signs of fraying because of going in and out of the Warn Wench while plowing.

Do any of you have a good idea on how to keep the cable in good shape and healthy?

Doug

2. MAR4CARS

MAR4CARS Senior Member

Toss the cable and buy some synthetic winch rope.

3. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Unless you have synthedic rope it will fray. FYI it's winch not "wench."

Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  4. IPLOWSNO

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

someone already mentioned a good solution so i will pass it along and i was thinkin along the same lines, but get a wide strap 11/2 ,2 '' and use that it should work tits

5. skywagon

skywagon Senior Member

Ya my last girlfriend was a real WENCH lol!!!!!:D:D:D

6. bigdoug

bigdoug Member
    from NE Ohio

Thanks for all the suggestions for my Winch...lol :D

I just can't get that word out of my head. Tats da way we say it in the stiks.

Now I just need to find a place that sells synthetic rope.

Doug

7. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

get a cable with a rubber coating.

8. IPLOWSNO

big doug use a ratchet type strap thats wide. and your all set. harbor freight will have it for less than 10 dollars, that synthetic rope is pricey.

9. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

Synthetic is a little pricey but well worth it. Keep in mind if you go that route, you will need a new fairlead too. Any burrs on the fairlead from the wire cable will chew through synthetic fast!

10. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

Very good point. If anything, de-burr the rollers and spool on the winch before you start using the rope. My cable is new so I'll use it until it starts to fray then I'll get the syn rope.

11. skywagon

skywagon Senior Member

Not bad price, just buy the 6 ft for plowing and the 100ft for summer. The 6 ft is only like $15, I have had the 6 ft going on the 5th season and still like new.:D:D:D

12. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

You can get it at any hardware store.

13. skywagon

skywagon Senior Member

Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  14. bigdoug

bigdoug Member
    from NE Ohio

Great ideas and links all. I have the rollers as a fairlead. Looks like a strap or synthetic rope is the way to go.

Just got 2 more inches of snow and they say we can get another 7 tonight.

Doug

15. Zach

Zach Senior Member

synthetic rope is pricey... I think a roller and some good rubber coating on your line will do the trick

16. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

Get a bow roller from a boat trailer, cut it in half and slide the synthetic through. It will keep you from winching too far in and the hook messing up the fairlead.

17. skywagon

skywagon Senior Member

18. bigdoug

bigdoug Member
    from NE Ohio

My cable snaped today and it only had 5 hours of plow time. Man does that suck. I really wish I knew how sucky cable was.

Now I have to run and get a strap temporarily. Looks like I will order the blue amsteel.

Doug

19. skywagon

skywagon Senior Member

Doug, you can order any color you want they have blue, black, grey or green, but its all called blue lol!:D:D:D

20. IPLOWSNO

big doug, so now you know the sound it makes as it stretches and snaps for the last time. i hear it a couple times then kerchink, and it allways happens at the worst time imo but they also make this deal that keeps you from takin the winch in. its like a bumper?check at atv store very cool imo.