1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Warn ProVantage Spring PROBLEMS

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by rhulm1, Feb 10, 2010.

1. rhulm1

rhulm1 Junior Member
    from ND

I have a front mount 60" blade that I've been using for a few months now. The problem I've been experiencing from day 1 is that the blade keeps on folding over anytime I get into a little packed snow. There is no stiffness to the blade at all. I double checked the owners manual to review the settings, but it appears that I have everything set up correctly. The 2 springs that connect the blade to the base contain a hook on Both ends. On top, the hook attaches to the Blade. On the bottom, the hook attaches to the base mounting connector. On the base end, the spring mounting connector has two positions about 1 inch apart, up for soft, down for stiff. I have it set at the down stiff position. I also adjusted the blade angle and tried all three positions, but that didn't help either. I had myself convinced that this was normal until I tried my brother's Moose plow. Major difference!! He has bolts on the top of his springs the he uses to adjust the spring tension. His Moose blade does not fold over unless you hit something permanently fixed to the ground. It does one heck of a job pushing heavy hard packed snow.

Overall, the appearance of my Warn Provantage plow looks much more heavy duty than my bothers Moose plow. The Moose plow however, out performs the Warn plow by a long shot!

2. johnscram

johnscram Junior Member

I have a 54 inch pro vantage on my prarie 360 and i have used it all year with no problems so far i would suggest adjusting the attack angle it dosent sound like you have tried that.

3. rhulm1

rhulm1 Junior Member
    from ND

No, I tried all three attack angles. Changing the blade attack angle did not help. I currently have it set at the middle setting.

4. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

are the springs drawn down all the way? Max tension?

5. rhulm1

rhulm1 Junior Member
    from ND

Yes, I have it set at max tension. From what I see, there are only 2 tension settings (2 bolt holes). I have the bracket pushed all the way down, and the bolt in the top hole.

6. sublime68charge

sublime68charge PlowSite.com Addict

there should be a way to adjust how the blade sits for the attack angle I don't know how a Warn is set to adjust this I know for the Moose there's small block on each side that has an offset hole through it that the back rib of the blade rest against you rotate this block to change how the blade sit's from \ l / you can try changing that part to get the blade to tilt back more which will reduce the tripping.

here's a Pic if you follow the rib down you can C the Adjustment block bolted up. that set's the blade angle \ l / again that is for the Moose but the Warn Plow should have something along the same lines.

[​IMG]

sublime out.

7. sublime68charge

can you post up some Pic's of how yours is set up?

that might Help in getting this solved for ya.

8. johnscram

johnscram Junior Member

I can only see the problem being the attack angle and definitely post up some pics,

9. rhulm1

rhulm1 Junior Member
    from ND

I appreciate all of your tips and suggestions. I took some pictures to show you guys my setup. There is a silver block used to adjust the attack angle of the blade. For the first 2 months I had it set at the least aggressive angle (\) with the block straight up and down. I was experiencing constant blade tripping, so I started to play with the different settings. I adjusted is to the middle setting (|), and then to the most aggressive setting (/) with the fattest part of the block facing forward. Currently I have it at the middle setting (|), but it seams that all 3 positions experienced the blade tripping, with the 3rd position being the worst.

I tried all 3 blade attack positions with no success. Take a look at my pictures to and let me know if you see anything else I could possibly try.

Again, I appreciate all you suggestions.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

10. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

if I had to guess, I'd say you need a haevier set of springs.

11. lagwagon

lagwagon Member

I had the same issue with the Moose RM3. Stronger springs just made the trip snap back harder. I contacted Moose and the dealer. Adjusted the angle and springs, but it still was not good enough. Gave up. Sold it and purchased the Tusk/Eagle setup from Rockymountain ATV. Night and day difference, it only trips when it truly needs to (which is never on my asphalt driveway).

Sorry, I wish I had the answer to your issue and I am sure there is a fix, but I only have so much time to f-around with something I spent over $600 on.

12. hansons glc

hansons glc Member
    from mn

if you are handy with a cut off wheel and a drill you could make a new plate to make the springs tighter. i would try puting the angle block sidways so it would be even more titled back but that will make the springs even more looser.

13. sublime68charge

Id set it back to the \ angle you want the blade leaning backwards so it has to overcome the center balance to tip forward. Also I'd add another set of trip springs to it. I know on my CC V-plow when I first got it only had the 2 spring and it would be trip'in all the time. even set back in the V

I added a 2 more springs that were Moose springs and since then the Plow has been fine. It'll still trip when it need's to but now it takes more than just a hang nail to cause that to happen.

My ATV parts guy said the Moose Springs are the heaviest duty springs of the major brands. This was 3 years ago.
    so Id talk to WARN get 2 more of the bottom spring angle brackets bolt them up inside drill out 2 holes across your top bar add up 2 more springs.

here's a Pic showing my 4 springs on the V-plow, its not the best but its what I have online.

[​IMG]

14. RBurns237

RBurns237 Junior Member

I have the exact same plow mount system on my 2005 Honda Foreman 500ES with the very same problem... and its killing me (Slowly). I just upgraded from the old style Warn system that mounts under the frame of the bike to the no ProMount system... and was sooo excited. But this thing sucks! I have tried all three attack angle settings as well as changing the mount location of the springs for greater tension... but nothing is working.

Did you ever find a solution? Please contact me directly either way, please?!

RJ
    RBurns237@aol.com

15. rhulm1

rhulm1 Junior Member
    from ND

No, I have not found a solution yet. I'm about one snowfall away from buying a moose plow and dumping the Warn plow in the trash. I've been in contact with Warn Tech Support. After confirming that my machine was all stock (no lift kit, no larger tires), their engineering department concluded that the solution to my problem was to weigh down my front end with sand bags so that the plow is not angled forward as much. I think it's funny that I have the exact same machine that they used to demo the new plow on their website (a blue Grizzly 700), but yet they think the my machine is the problem. I think a better solution would be to re-engineer the mounting brackets at the rear of the base tube assemble to lower the tubes. The Tech on the phone did offer to send out a stronger set of springs (silver color) that they use to have on their old plow system. He said that they may cause damage to the plow when it snaps back, but I could try them at my own risk. I have to say that the Warn customer service has been very friendly, but I just don't think that they have this plow system figured out yet. I give it a 2 out of 10.

16. noooooo

noooooo Member

What about taking the spring off and taking out the bolt on the left in your closeup pic? Push the bracket down as far as it will go then redrill the hole. If that doesnt work get a piece of angle iron and basically make a longer bracket in place of that one.

17. TheBriz81

TheBriz81 Junior Member
    from Kansas

I just bought the provantage system this year myself but I went with the 60" tapered blade on my 680 Honda Rincon. i have not had a n problems with it tripping too much so maybe you could talk warn into trading you for a tapered blade. I have had a couple minor problems with the application but Warn has done a good job at fixing the problem. I say keep on them and force them to make it right before you give up.

18. Flingit1200s

Flingit1200s Junior Member

I have the 54" plow on my Arctic Cat 400, which sits up pretty high even in stock form, and I have not trouble with the plow tripping unless I catch some really packed down snow or ice. The plow has worked awesome for me. It the plow ever does start to trip when I don't want it to I'll probably just replace the springs with heavy angle iron and run it solid.

19. TheBriz81

TheBriz81 Junior Member
    from Kansas

I'd say you had better build a seat belt while you are at it if you want to make the plow solid. A solid blade isn't very forgiving when you run into a big snow drift or catch it on something solid. A couple of times doing that and you will wish you had the springs back. JMO

20. Flingit1200s

Flingit1200s Junior Member

Very true ^^^^. I just don't drive that fast or aggressively......obviously solid is not a good idea for everyone. Sorry about that.........