1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Warn Power Pivot

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by tinkenboutit, Oct 20, 2009.

1. tinkenboutit

tinkenboutit Junior Member
    from zone 5

I just had a dealer talk me out of a Warn Power Pivot. He even said that all of the power anglers were a waste of money because there have been so many problems with them. I don't like the idea of getting off everytime I want to change the blade angle.
    Any thoughts and/or comments?
  2. Joel_T

Joel_T Junior Member

Eagle plow has a cable gadget where pulling the handle disengages the angle lock pin, then you bump the blade to the angle you want and spring action resets the lock pin - in theory. I don't have one but the idea sounds good.
  3. sublime68charge

sublime68charge PlowSite.com Addict

in the plow with wings thread we got off topic and talked about the power angle,

I run a Electric Actuator cylinder and after a few problems it has worked great.

also more Pics of my set up in the ATV Pics with Plows thread or click on my Winter plowing saga link in my sig will get you some more Pics of the setup I run.

sublime out
  4. giarc01

giarc01 Junior Member
    from ohio

I just got my warn power pivot and love it. Beats getting off your quad all the time. I got it for $360 from Denniskirk.com. It adds great weight to the front too. If you use a warn winch the switch for it looks just like it and mounts to the top of that switch. Has a connector so you can leave the power pivot attached to the plow and unhook it very easily when you take the plow off.
  5. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

They're listed at $456 now on Dennis Kirk. How long ago did you buy it?
  6. giarc01

giarc01 Junior Member
    from ohio

I did a price match. The web site was actually montanajacks.com. It is $319.20 from them but they change $38 for shipping. So I just call denniskirk and had them price match it and had it in 2 days.
  7. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

Watch out for the keys coming out of the slots. I lost both in a storm, luckily on the last driveway. I've since made a bracket to fit the pivoting assembly of the plow and welded the keys to the bracket, then bolted the bracket to the plow assembly. There is no way they can come out. It pretty much made the kit bullet proof. It handled 3ft drifts and I was able to pivot the blade with a large load of snow out front.

I posted this in another thread.
  8. giarc01

giarc01 Junior Member
    from ohio

Thanks for the idea. Two questions, is that just 1/4 steel and did you weld it to the plow or is it bolted to the plow? The second one is, what is the pulley for? I mean how are you using it?
  9. ALC-GregH

from pa

Yes, all I did was use some flat steel I bought at Lowes and cut and welded it to fit. Welded the keys to the bracket. Then I bolted the bracket onto the plow assembly. You can see the shiny bolts, there's two on each side. :)
  10. dryfly2u

dryfly2u Junior Member
    from WA

ALC- I was reading in the forums where u didnt like the power pivot, then where u bought one and loved it but it didnt sound like you'd had a chance to use it alot other than some static tests as you put it, and then the last one I read you were plowing 3 ft of snow and loving it. It sounds like its working out good for you. Ive been reading about spring problems where the plow trips to easily on the new warn systems. 5 people having problems five not kinda thing. Did you have any problems with yours now that you ve got it in heavier snow as far a the plow tripping to easily. Im gonna buy a new system for the polaris and had pretty much decided on a warn with the power pivot but hearing all the discontent with the springs from so many people has got me a bit worried.
    If you got any thoughts on the subject that you've had time enough in the field to prove, Id sure appreicate hearing them. Ive got a two stroke 400 polaris quad 4by4 and Im figuring a 60 in blade with hopefully a power pivot if they seem to have a good chance of success.
  11. sqdqo

sqdqo Member
    from mqt mi

Power pivot speed

Any of you guys using the power pivot. Are there speed issues? Do these things run slowly and can they be installed on a moose blade?
  12. giarc01

giarc01 Junior Member
    from ohio

I have one on my quad and I really like it. I only used it twice last year in a few small 4'' snow falls. It did really well and isn't that slow. It is a lot better than getting off of your quad 20-30 times in an afternoon. I welded the keys on a bar so they wouldn't fall out. I would buy another one in a heart beat.
  13. oldpeople2

oldpeople2 Junior Member

I ran the Power pivot with a 48" plow last winter for 15 snow falls,on 19 driveways/sidewalks in 2009/2010 season. and I like it. You can move the plow in deep snow as your plowing. One thing that I do not care for, but can live with is it has a 5" of slop, movement to the back of the plow once you adjusted your angel. I did break one spring last season, but I have one side walk that is crack out bad, but I charge him for it. As for a tripping, it happens, big cracks in the sidewalks or something, it's what it is suppose to do to save your setup. As for the keys in the pivot, I have a extra set, and have not lost any yet, but because I have said something, I well now. I also replace one Bar, but I don't think anybody makes one to last. I also have the provantage power lift, came out last year, wish it lifted higher, but you know what they saying about wishing in one hand and ? As for as the Warn setup that I have, I like it. I have already gotten my money back out of it for the work it has done and I will see this year if it last the test of time. If I were to buy it all over again I would of bought the setup from Montanna Jacks, or someone beside were I got mine. This year I order New Springs and Bar for when or if I need them.
  14. irv

irv Senior Member

newbie here but have been atv plowing since 02. ive had a power
    pivot on a warn plow since they first came out in 07 i believe. its been
    on 2 rubicons so far without a problem[hope this doesnt jinks it]
    have been reading your posts here with a lot of good tips. i use a
    warn xt 25 to lift . ilike the idea of using a winch strap to lift also.
    we will see what winter brings.
    i also hav a simpicity tractor with blower, cab and a power pivot for
    deeper stuff. if it gets too deep then i have friends with bigger equipment.
    thank for all your help.--irv
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  15. kagey

kagey Junior Member
    from Chicago

I have a 54" warn plow with a power pivot and I've used it 1.5 winters now. Last year the winter here wasn't bad but I plow 3 driveways all the time (more if I have time) when the snow is more than 2-3" and it worked great. No getting off to move and I use my warn wench for up and down. I do agree about the keys popping out so secure them somehow. I also have a plastic blade and one spare as I do my brick driveway along with one another. The other driveway is asphalt. It works well on all. I wish I had a little more downpressure for packed down tire marks but it still does a good job. The tipping of the blade does happen but not bad. Also going down the sidewalks I'm crusing about 10 mph most of the time but the sidewalk is pretty crack free. I do about 2.5 blocks so I can walk my dogs without trudging through snow. There is a little play when not going full left or right on my pivot which I think is normal. I don't own a business just for my use and fun which I do have a lot with. :)
    My biggest challenge is learning where to put the snow so for future snows you have places to go with the next snowfall. All in all I like the power pivot for my use which isn't overly heavy but not just one drive/walk. I ordered my plow, pivot and accessories from Montana Jacks and wasn't disappointed. Not the cheapest but no issues which was more important to me and the service was great. Hope this helps.
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  16. irv

irv Senior Member

seems like montana jacks is the only dealer who you can get quick service on
    warrn repair parts. know of anyone else--irv
  17. Fireman-LT131

Fireman-LT131 Junior Member

I have had my 60" Warn plow for 7 years now and love it. I added the power pivot last winter and also love it! No more getting off and pivoting the plow. The keys do need to be secured somehow, whether it is a simple piece of string or something more elaborate. I added a big hose clamp around that plastic piece to hold it to the motor and that works pretty good. The bottom of the plastic cover sits in the notch in the keys. Haven't lost one since doing that. I highly recommend Montana Jack's. They are super nice to deal with and very helpful. They may cost a little more in the end with shipping but to me it is worth it. Hope this helps you out.
  18. ALC-GregH

from pa

This past year it did great. Haven't had a issue since I locked the keys in place. I do in fact like it a lot. It saves a ton of time getting on and off the wheeler and will handle a heavy load and still turn.I definitely put it through the paces last winter and hope to have the same fun this season.
  19. ALC-GregH

from pa

I wanted to add, that the PP motor assembly has a little weight to it which in turn I feel helps scrape the surface better. It 's the best place to put any weight if you felt you needed any. I thought it made a huge difference from the prior season when I was getting on and off to turn the damn blade. :realmad: It's a breeze plowing with the PP now that I figured out a solid fix for the keys they use to transfer the turning force on the blade. It does exactly what it's suppose to in order to turn the blade without getting off the atv. The only other thing that was mentioned about it having a 5in movement before it locks is correct. It actually locks into 5 different positions, not where you stop it at like a hydraulic cylinder type. I can live with that. Everything works perfect as far as I'm concerned. I'm just waiting for it to snow. We got a 1in dusting 2 days ago but it wasn't enough to go out on. Some of the commercial places were getting salted and a few small piles of snow. I'm not into that. I have full service customers that I run a very similar route as my mowing route. Works out well and I have a bunch that all I do is snow removal and nothing else.
  20. irv

irv Senior Member

and it didnt cost 800.00 or more. 4 years and no problems yet.--irv