1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Warn Leaf Springs?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Plowtoy, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Anyone have any idea how to tell if my leaf springs are warn (other than if their broken)?
    Our 03 superduty seems to sag on the right rear and the truck as a whole seems to be lower than most others I see around. It does have 265s on it and I am going to get 285s soon. My buddy runs 305s on his 350 and still has plenty of room to clear with the v blade on and I'm not sure ill clear the 285s with a 7'6" poly boss.
    His truck seems to sit so much higher than our 250. They are both crew cabs, short box, 7.3s. No real difference's other than his is a 350. ANY IDEAS. Thanks, Dave
  2. Chris112lee

Chris112lee Member

The 250's have a smaller block in the rear suspension and sit 1" lower IIRC. Also, there were multiple different spring rates available in both 250's and 350's, you can compare them by looking in your door jamb. There will be a spring code for front, and a code for the rear springs listed there.

If you have one corner sagging, it is likely due to a broken spring or possibly worn spring. I just replaced a broken spring on the rear of my f-350 this week. Springs typically break near the center, and it can be difficult to see with the tire still on.