1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

warn hubs?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 572bowtie, Nov 13, 2004.

1. 572bowtie

572bowtie Member

i have a 79 k-10 and i cant get off my warn hubs can anyone help?
  2. Rick Loncosky

Rick Loncosky Senior Member
    from 17557

After the long bolts that you see on the cover come out, there is a wire ring just inside the hub. You'll need a small screwdriver (2), to pry out one end and work your way around with the other. Sometimes they are greased up and you can't see it. After that there is a snap ring on the end of the axle. You'll need a pair of snap ring pliers for this, with small tips. Once this ring is removed I put two of the long bolts back to wiggle & pull at the same time and the innards should be out. Now! From my experience just last month mine didn't want to leave the hub. After some yanking it did come out and I found out that the inner components were worn and needed replacing, along with the axle U-joint. This is a pretty simple procedure. Good luck, Rick...
  3. ratplow408

ratplow408 Member
    from PA

Do exactly like Rick said,but make sure hubs are in locked position before you start.