1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Warn Hubs

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by redneck farmer, Oct 24, 2012.

1. redneck farmer

redneck farmer Senior Member

I put warn hubs on my F-350 SD a couple years ago replacing the factory Ford auto lokcing hubs that kept freezing up. I now am having a problem with one of the warn hubs. When you turn the dial to lock the hubs and if you let go it "springs" back to the free side, when you do lock the hub in the internal of the hub is not locking. With the from end jacked up and you turn the tire you can hear it clicking. I pulled the hub apart and looked at it and nothing appears to be hanging up and it is lubed. With the hub apart if you push the internals the hub will lock as it should. Has anyone ever had a similar problem with warn hubs not locking in?

2. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

not sure i quite understand the situation you are explaining, but i made the mistake many years ago of over greasing it. i figured the more grease the better. not so. too much grease and you will have too much resistance for the parts to move as they should.

3. Chiputz

Chiputz Senior Member

Linckeil is right, too much grease doesn't work well. Another point is make sure you pull your hubs apart every year and clean and regrease them. The old grease gets thick and can interfere with the lock out. If I remember correctly, there is a spring and thrust washer in them that have a tendency to break. I was never too fond of Warn hubs, they always seemed to break when you need them the most. I always tended to gravitate towards Spicer Hubs. Way more durable, but spendy. Check out any 4 wheel/ off road site and check them out.