1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Warn Hub Removal

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by L.I.Mike, Dec 11, 2006.

1. L.I.Mike

L.I.Mike Senior Member

I have a parts truck that I need to remove the Warn Hubs that I put on prior to blowing up the motor.
    I have removed the 6 screws and the c clip and now can go no further.
    The internal part does not want to come out .
    Any ideas how to remove this? I know it is simple but I am not getting it.
    Thanks

2. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

did you get both C clips , one on the axle shaft(inside) and then a large one thats a pain in the butt(outside)

3. tsmith

tsmith Senior Member

There is another circular ring that holds all that in, it is in a groove of the actual hub portion( the outer wall of the steel tube). You'll need a pick to get it out. Its about 1/8 dia. ring, you'll have to clean some grease out to see it. Hope that makes sense, it's kinda hard to describe. If you have a chilton or similar repair manual it should have an assemblt picture that would help.

4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

It's a wire bale type retainer. It's real hard to find with the grease in there. Clean all you can out of the end. Bend a cotter pin or stiff wire into an L shape. Find the groove in the throat of the housing follow it around till you find the end of the ring. Use a real small screw driver to pry up the other end of the ring. Use the L tool to anchor the opposite end.
    This will keep you sane trying to get them out. I then put all the parts in a baggie.

5. L.I.Mike

L.I.Mike Senior Member

Thanks for the help.
    I knew it was simple but was getting frustrated and stopped before I broke something.
    And I am a firm believer in the "baggie" for parts.
    I have lost to many little pieces over the years.:salute:

6. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare Senior Member

hub

Mark, not sure how it is on your ford, but on my old dodge after you get the lockout off, you will have to take a snap ring off the axle the there is a lock ring around the hub on the inside of the axle housing that you have to pick to get it out of the groove to slip the hub out of there.

7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Put three of the screws back in and use them to pull out the hub. Rock back and forth because the grease holds them in place.( I forgot to mention )