1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Warming up the tranny?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by new2it, Sep 29, 2004.

1. new2it

new2it Member

If you plow your own driveway, what do you do to warm up the tranny? Is it necessary to? My old truck I didn't care, but now that I have a nice one I would like to keep it that way. I can let the engine warm up all it wants, but this doesn't warm up the tranny fluid right? Stupid question that has been buggin me.
    Thanks

2. b2driver

b2driver Member
    from MD

If you have a manual, I wouldn't worry about it. To answer your question, no, warming up the engine does little for the transmission. For an automatic, you can warm the fluid a little bit(depending on the ambient temperature) by keeping the vehicle's parking brake on, and your foot on the brake pedal and move the gear selector through the different positions(P, R, N, etc.) for a while.

3. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

actually warming motor does warm the tranny. i have a tranny temp guage and when i warm truck the tranny is warm before motor.

4. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

PSD350 is correct. runnin the engine with and auto trans in park will warm the fluid in the trans because while the trans isn't in gear it is still pumping fluid around and around. Also the trans cooler is generally in the radiator tank unless you run an external aux cooler in which case the trans fluid is also warmed up as the engine coolant warms up. Mind you it may or may not come up all the to normal operating temp while parked and idling but it wont stay stone cold either.

For manual trans letting the truck idle in neutral with the clutch out should wamr the fuid up (for easier shifting) in just a few minutes because most of the gear are actually turning in neutral. Only the output shaft is stationary.

5. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

beware that if you have a dodge/chrustler/jeep the transmission does NOT circulate the fluid while in park, only in R-N-D-4-3-2-1

what I do is throw it in low-loc before heading down my street and I drive to the neighborhood exit in low-loc approx 1500 feet and it gets stuff moving and warming up fast, then I throw it into AWD and go plowing! :bluebounc

6. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

These plows make a living for you. treat them nice and they will feed you, put a roof over your head and make a living for you in return.
    I park mine in a heated shop.
    If you park outside and plug them in then you could also pick up an electric magnetic heater and clip it to the tx pan. about $30.00 at NAPA.

7. new2it

new2it Member

Thanks guys! The truck is auto. Didn't know that the fluid would warm with the engine while in park. I guess that's why we come here though!
    Thanks again

8. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i start my truck 15 mins before i leave but i also flush out my system 2x year

9. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

The transmission fluid will be heated by passing through the oil cooler in the radiator, as PSDF350 said.
    But keep in mind that other parts like the transfer case, differentials and hubs are not.
    My .02 cents