1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Warming the block

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by sven1277, Jan 27, 2012.

1. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I don't always have an outlet to plug into to warm my ss. I could run a salamander or generator, but is there a portable battery system that would work by plugging in a few hours before starting?
  2. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Is the motor Liquid cooled or oil cooled?

If it's liquid, then you could do the quick connect mod to where you take a truck and T-in quick connect fitting in the heating system.

Then do the same to the machine. Basically then you just need to keep the truck running for 15-20 minutes to warm the block of the machine.

How is the glow plug operation on the SS? That would be my first suggestion is to make sure it's operating at peak performance.

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Assume you're talking about the SR70. Are you having trouble with it starting? or just wanting to be nicer to it when it's cold? If it starts fine I'd just throw synthetic in it and call her good, just remember even with it plugged in you aren't warming the hydraulic oil just like with the truck the trany is still cold. Always let it warm up for 10-20 minutes depending on outside temp and even then don't go full throttle right away. As far as a battery to plug into it would have to be HUGE with a decent size inverter.
    edit Just did the math and with a 1200watt block heater it would draw 10amps so I guess you could get away with a decent size battery and it would run the block heater for around 4 hours
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  4. dooleycorp

dooleycorp Senior Member

what we do when you can;t plug in or keep inside,we use hoses that the garages use to run exhaust out of the garages you hook one end to your truck and set the other end in the engine compartment sit and read paper or have your coffee the heat from your truck heats everything just right works every time
  5. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

Thats a good idea. She just runs rough for a few under 25degrees and sometimes slow to start when not plugged in.