1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

War Wounds

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Dockboy, Jan 6, 2003.

1. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

Hey Guy's and Gals,

In additon to my route, I also sub for a friend of mine at one of his large accounts. It is an Ikea Distribution center. A 100 bay wharehouse(50 on each side), 200 car parking lot, and a 1.5 mi road leading in to it. All pavement. It's like plowing a freaking airport!:rolleyes: With 3-4" it can be taken care of with 2 trucks and a loader in about 5 hrs.

Anyway, last night we are plowing(third time at this site this year). I have driven the site with no snow several times and marked any obstacles. There are guite a few drain gates and manhole covers that we mark but the plows go right over any way. I am plowing along, windrowing away from one side of the building, running about 15 mph when "BANG"!!!! The plow bounces up higher than the hood!!!(and my truck is pretty tall!!) I get out and look. Due to settlement, an 8" water main cover had decided to peak it's little head slightly above the pavement. I mark the spot and continue. Well wouldn't you know it, 3 hrs. later while cleaning up, I hit it again!! 3" on the blade from where I hit it before. I think the loader guy had moved my cone!

Well Dino, I think a U-edge will be sooner than later!!

2. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

Another angle

3. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

Glad to hear you are alright.

C&D LANDSCAPING Junior Member

Hope nothings broken, I hit a man hole cover once, aliitle closer to the centre of the blade and it snaped the corner right of the cutting edge.
  5. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

First time ever plowing I flipped one out of the hole... jumped out and wiggled it back in to place. Didn't hit anything underneath and I was going 5mph
  6. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Greg,your lucky it wasnt worse,IMO. The U edge will solve that problem.I have never used a steel edge on my Boss V,so I dont even know how rough it would be.I know my 7.5 pro western is so much smoother now.

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

when i first started plowing 15yrs ago i hit a curb so hard i sheared the bolt that holds the angle piston to the blade
    i had to finish plowing ,by the end of the night the piston shot right thru the front of the moldboard had the board plated and still use it today

go eagles
  8. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

Thanks Rooster and Corey:D

John, I agree. I hit it so hard that I expected to see the edge cleaned right off when I got out to look:eek:

Does anyone have a close up picture of a U-edge mounted on a Western or Fisher V????

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

dockboy, no picture but i put uedge on my mvp this year and would'nt be without it...i have a gas station with fill points that would always catch the blade now it glides rite over ,same with manhole covers in another lot,don't stop don't slow down just keep plowin
  10. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

glad your not hurt.i did that on the christmas storm.blade was to the left.i hit it doing 15 or 20 the cover went up in the air and my truck got stuck under the rim of the man hole and jumped 10 feet to the right 2 years ago while i was plowing for the state DOT.i hit 2 going down RT 80 in east haven.didn`t feel much but the man hole basies had to be replaced.not the covers the base of the cover you know the rim they put in the ground.plow tripped like crazy its a 3 trip plow on my LA 8000
  11. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I know this one guy that hit a curb at 25 mph and ripped his whole plow off.
    I will have to take a pic of the u edge on the v plow. I just sent a set out to a co. on NJ, and also to a local guy. They are all drilled and ready to mount. Give me a call 860-608-1842
  12. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

LOL Dino. Mike
  13. OffRoadPlow

OffRoadPlow Senior Member

How much?

Glad to hear your OK,, 15,,, ouch...
    Never hit going over 5mph, but can imagine.... So I guess I am ready to ask,,, I could not find it in the other posts, so sorry if it is posted elsewhere...
    Price for a U edge, for a 8' snoway? We have a place in Michigan, but I think they are upping the prices on them....