1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

wantto get into plowing / snow removal

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by b16bri, Sep 24, 2013.

1. b16bri

b16bri Junior Member
    from ct

Hey guys last year I started a lawn care business and this winter I want to offer plowing / snow and ice removal to my customers they have shown interest in this and I want to expand my business in this direction only problem is ive never plowed before I used a sander/salter before but never a plow i'm looking for any advise any tips and ideas on how I can learn and what equipment I should start with

thanks
    Brian

2. b16bri

b16bri Junior Member
    from ct

I have a 04 dodge ram 1500

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Take on a half dozen drives and see if you like it

4. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

I started with a even smaller truck(dodge dakota) to get going then traded up to a 1500, got more jobs then 3/4 ton & still use my 1500 ram. Point is truck aint a prob. When ever you do start to learn to plow, let common sence guide you(assuming you have some) go slow, pick a large area you know there is nothing around to hit, again go slow you will get the hang of it, think first where the snow is going to be piled, remember to leave room for your next push/pile. Before you know it you will be learning little things that make you more efficient. Make sure your covered(insurance wise) & try not to break anything ;)

5. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

I will add though I offered snow removal for many years before I owned a plow truck, just owned a nice shovel & drove to my customers to do it the old way. You could buy a snow blower to put in that truck of yours & get into the industry that way.

6. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

I will add though I offered snow removal for many years before I owned a plow truck, just owned a nice shovel & drove to my customers to do it the old way. You could buy a snow blower to put in that truck of yours & get into the industry that way.

I repeated as this is the best advise you can get. Establish 10/15 profitable customers-learn the in's and out's, then buy a plow with some of the profits to expand in future years. If you invest up front, you may find yourself chasing new business to pay the plow, and cutting prices.