1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

wanting to make down pressure mod on ultramount

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by birddseedd, Nov 26, 2014.

1. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

There was a guy here that did it, not sure if it was ultarmount or not. anyone have the thread for it? or any advice as to where i would build a brace for it.

2. birddseedd

im talking about my ultramount pro, not my old conventional.

3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Subscribed

Will you be welding your chain?

4. birddseedd

can we get back to topic please. i know other folks have done it. i just want to see how they did it

5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

http://www.plowsite.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=266527

6. birddseedd

so the guy replaced his chain lift with a ram lift? wouldnt that involve all new valving and everything?. i was going on the assumption that he added a ram that pushed down with its own valving and pump and still used the original chain lift to lift the plow

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

That's why I in all seriousness asked if you would be welding your chain. Dead serious, because it ain't going to work any other way.

8. birddseedd

I have a ram. i should be able to add it to the system for pushing downward. while my lift would be limited by the upstroke of the ram, it would give me the down pressure. but talking about it is different than doing it. thats why i would like to see how the other guy did it.

9. birddseedd

don't have to have an attitude. technicialy you could use the lift valve from the western pump, and a 2 way valve to direct it to one cyl or another.

in fact, thats not a bad idea. flip switch, your up is now down. i think that is how i will do it. if i can find that kidn of valve to add to the system. need to find a hydrolics shop

10. birddseedd

the hard part is where to mount a cyl.

11. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

naw the hard part is going to be configuring all of your diverters and running your pump.

drop, flip switch run pump.
    flip switch raise blade.

what if the switch is flipped for down pressure and you want to move the plow to one side.
    again flip switch, move plow, flip switch, run pump

What size ram are you going to use and what are the capabilities for your pump, psi and fluid capacity.

You better off selling your plow and buying a no~way or utilizing that weight set your mom got ya.

12. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

another bird brain idea that will never come to fruition.

in one thread you are saying how you have to get out of the truck and manually angle your plow and can't seem to figure out why it is not angling all the way, and now in this thread you are proposing a very complex modification that is not at all necesary.

start with the simple stuff first bird - get your plow to angle properly. once that feat is completed then lets work on down pressure. and after that - who knows.... maybe a snowplow that can travel to the moon!!! the possiblities are endless - dream big!!!!!!!

13. birddseedd

if you kept up with the thread, i have pretty much fixed the other plow. a little bit more work to do to it. but it does work pretty well now.

14. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

This train has already jumped the tracks...and is in rapid meltdown.

15. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

c'mon guys, you can always just choose to ignore him or not respond to his threads if you don't want to give him advice...no need to continue posting @ him just to give him a hard time and/or make fun of him, his setup, etc., etc.

as always, thanks, I would appreciate it :waving:

16. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Actually there was the thread on this. And the guy used a piece of square stock in place if his chain. And had done some valving etc...I vaguely remember it.
    But I'm gunna ask...where's the money gunna come from? Your already crying poor, so why dump money in to this idea, when you could save up for new tires or plow hoses?

17. CashinH&P

CashinH&P Senior Member

Not to mention he is wondering how he will pay his bills since he used all his money to pay to fix the truck and plow that won't angle, and now he wants to do this complex project.

18. birddseedd

some of the stuff i already have if itl work. the rest will have to be more like janurary once i start getting paid.

19. Robinson_Cnst

Robinson_Cnst Senior Member

There are better things to invest money in than re-engineering a plow that is currently reliable.

20. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

Lets not even get started that the ultramount headgear is designed to be pulled on costantly, not pushed on to try and lift the front of your truck.
    Why do you need DP anyway? Are you plowing some crazy snow thats only in your driveways that we havent seen yet?