1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wanting a plow

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by herbie1, Sep 15, 2004.

1. herbie1

herbie1 Junior Member

Hey all,
    New to this forum been reading some posts so here is my question. I have a 99 2500 GMC Sierra with a towing package but no plow package. I spoke with a local plow distributor and they said they would not install the plow without the plow package. What do I need to add to my truck to be able to get it up to snuff to put a plow on it? It is a 3/4 ton.
    Thanks,
    Herb Hewlett

2. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Well beings your warantee is about shot if its not already we can forget about that.

What is the front axel weight rating on your truck? is your truck extended cab or what? What motor? Auto I assume?

Sometimes a plow prep includes heavier springs and all kindsa other things, sometimes like on my truck the only thing a plow prep got me was a factory switch aready mounted for a blinky light. All depends but alot of times plow prep can mean squat.

3. herbie1

herbie1 Junior Member

Thanks rat

It has a 4410 lbs front axel rating. It is a long bed and has a 5.3L v-8.
    Thanks,
    Herb

4. grotecguy

grotecguy Senior Member

Thats rediculous

I find it hard to believe a dealer won't put a plow on a 5 year old 3/4 ton truck. What more could they ask for??? Sounds like a perfect candidate for a plow to me.

Make sure to add a trans. cooler to an auto transmission. Maybe a heavier duty alternator or a secondary battery would be a good idea.

I would find a different dealer, guess your $$$ isn't green enough for them.
    Good luck,
    Mark K

5. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Take a look at westerns selection guide or what do you have close for dealers? Is it a reg cab? You should have 0 problems with a blade on it. Just how big now.....

Agreed, find another dealer

6. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

then get one

Plow prep package usually is a 3/4 ton or better truck, trans cooler. You would benefit by a large capacity battery and a 140amp or better alternator ( you do have 4-wheel drive I assume ). Otherwise, take your money to another shop. Boss and sno-way have lowest break down ratings.

7. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

What kind of plow were you looking at?

A smart dealer won't let you put a 9 ft. fisher V on a truck without the correct options. Everbody is SUE happy nowadaze...........

Does you truck have any of these options? VYU plow prep, Z85 or 82
    Trailer tow pkg. If it does you will have HD torsion bars and springs,
    a trans. cooler, etc. and ready to plow................
    Dealer messing up me thinks..............geo

8. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Many tuck equipment dealers will not install a plow on a truck that does not have a plow prep code on the options sheet. Even if it's a "77.......