1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wanted: Mount for Fisher Speedcaster to fit old school 2wd GM Dually

Discussion in 'Used Plowing and Truck Equipment Forum' started by derekbroerse, Oct 18, 2014.

1. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I am looking for a Fisher Speedcaster (conventional mount) headgear/mount/pushplate setup for a 73-87 GM 2wd one ton, 4x4 stuff doesn't clear.

They literally made thousands of these, yet I can't seem to locate a single one around here anymore!

Does anyone have one of these laying around somewhere? A lot of these old trucks have been scrapped unfortunately, or are laying around in farmer's fields etc.

I will pay for shipping to get the mount here, or will buy a complete plow setup to fit if the price is right and within reasonable range of Southern Ontario or Western NY. Would also consider a Boss plow of any series RT1 RT2 RT3 to fit, or again just a mount.

(pic is borrowed from Google, this is the style I'm looking for but for a 2wd!)
    I want to mount it on my R35 for backup purposes... surely someone has one gathering rust and dust?

fisher dually.jpg

2. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

had the same problem so my dad and, i did the following... we purchased a 67-72 style fisher bottom, had to cut the push plates down some, mounted 2 pieces of 2" square tubing right in front of the sway bar...

IMG_2141.jpg

IMG_4382a.jpg

IMG_4384.jpg

IMG_4387.jpg

IMG_4388.jpg

3. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

the pic uploader quit workin for me

4. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

we had to drill new holes for the headgear because the spacing on the 67-72 plates was different than the 73-87 which is the headgear style we used. i know it's a diamond head gear modified for a western pump but, we had it on 73-87 4wd fisher push plates originaly. we then attached the headgear straps to the bumper bolt holes on the frame horns. now this setup sticks out farther than the correct set up does so we upted for a custom bumper as well. oh one other note is the plow pins don't stay attached with a spring/cotter pin on this setup. they have to be inserted from the outside. you can sort of see that in the 1st pic of this post

IMG_5384a.JPG

IMG_5389a.JPG

IMG_5466a.JPG

IMG_5507a.JPG

IMG_7996a.JPG

5. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

here's another action shot, a shot of one of the piles so you can see stacking wasn't a problem and, a shot where the truck is sitting in a valley, i know it's probably hard to tell but there's no clearance issues with the blade up :) i don't have a pic of the 4wd push plates handy but, if you can weld i'm sure you could modify a set of them to work just like these 67-72 worked for us. the truck pushed a lot of snow last year and, there was no frame damage and no trouble at all. it's the smoothest blade i've ever seen, she glides across the ground. my dad has been plowing for over 30 years and has never seen a blade so smooth in his life. hope i helped some even if it was with ideas. if you need any more pics or want to talk about the set up don't hesitate to ask

IMG_8574a.JPG

IMG_8655a.JPG

IMG_8658a.JPG

6. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

found pics of the correct 4wd push plates... if you got that set up and added a flate plate to the inside near where i have arrow A then, cut somewhere along where i have arrow B you'd be able to duplicate what my dad and i did. do the same on the other plate and, you'd be in business. you'd also have the correct push beam thus the pins would function as intended and, not need to be removed like we have to do. if you feel it wouldn't be strong enough for some reason i'm sure you'd be able to add more bracing where you feel it's needed

IMG_3111a.JPG

IMG_3123a.JPG

7. derekbroerse

Thanks for your help. In absolute honesty I was hoping to find a bolt on set and not have to mess with fabbing this late in the season, but it may come down to that. I have numerous 4x4 setups to play with...

I can't help but wonder where the heck all of these head gears disappeared to!!!

8. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

you're very welcome! if it makes you feel better we were working on this set up in novemeber of last year. it was 30 degrees farenheit out when i was painting, the smaller pieces i would bring in and bake in front of a heater (no garage) the bigger pieces i just had to pray for them to dry lol. i couldn't even find a pic of what the correct frame looked like and anyone i asked looked at me like i had 3 heads. they all said dad couldn't plow with a 2wd truck. hell i said it myself but i'm man enough to admit i was wrong

9. derekbroerse

In the morning I'm gonna check my local dealer, he still has a bunch of 80's NOS Fisher parts laying around from when they were selling 'em. I got a NOS OEM Fisher pump for a $100 last time, who knows maybe he has one gathering dust--doesn't hurt to ask, right?

10. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

it sure don't. you get the right dealer with the right old timer that knows their stuff and you can make out like a bandit

11. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

are you on fb? there's several truck groups you could try asking in, you'll prolly get laughed at like i did but then again you may find that one guy who not only knows what you need but has it as well

12. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

And the 2wd mounts had bars that went from the mount to about the transmission. I know 2wd F350 dually's used them (maybe GM too?). Good luck in your search!

13. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

have you had any luck finding one yet?

14. derekbroerse

No I gave up for now. I got royally screwed on not one but two of my major contracts I've had for many years... after being told to prepare for the increased service (a little more area and 7 day a week service instead of 5) but after hearing about it all year and 'be ready' over and over... they decided they wanted a major corporation to handle the snow this year instead, not having faith in a small local company. This is two, four acre properties taken from me...

Adding that to my grocery store getting a new landlord and demanding a 65% discount (then replacing me when I refused) in a matter of two weeks I have been run into a very bad financial position.

I'll be lucky if I survive the winter, financially. Yes, it's that bad.

FML.

15. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

That blows man. Sorry to hear that.

16. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

crap! here's to hoping something better comes along soon!

17. derekbroerse

I am just trying to survive the winter. Spent a lot of money on the credit cards to be ready for that job and being stiffed like that came from way out of left field--he is always a late signer of the contracts so that didn't raise any red flags with me, he's been pep-talking me about it since last winter and telling me over and over to make sure I was ready for it... so I did... and got the rug pulled out from under me.

I would have been fine losing one big contract, or the other, but not both at the same time. My other plaza's property manager hasn't gotten back to me and never ever answers his phone... this is also typical of this guy. I even sent a fax to his office last week, no answer... This week I'll have to bypass him and go see the owner of the place.

So far, only locked into a small store, a church, and a handful of rural residentials. Not good. If the plaza comes thru, I'll have half a chance, without them, I'm in trouble.

Is anyone else finding property managers are being a royal pain this year because of last year's heavy winter?

18. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

that blows! my dad has always stuck with driveways but for 20 years or so he did one small commercial lot on a handshake deal. there were many different managers in the store over that time but, that original handshake deal stood up until last season. the place was bought out and even tho they kept the in store employees they let dad go. i often wonder what would have happened had there been a written contract? sure do wish you the best and, at the very least if you don't pick up enough to make a profit for the season i sure do hope you pick up enough to not lose your shirt