1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Want to upgrade my altenator on my 89 22RE.

Discussion in 'Import and Other Trucks (Light Duty)' started by OneStar, Oct 24, 2006.

1. OneStar

OneStar Junior Member
    from MASS

It's a stock altenator now and the lights dim when the plow (Fisher MM1 7ft) is in use. What would be my choices for an upgrade to altenators?

Thanks.........

2. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Check around for a brand called Powermaster. I think I bought mine at Summit Racing.

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

How about adding a second battery.

It would do more for you then a Bigger alt will.

4. Detroitdan

Back in my old gas engine carbureted truck days, I always had trouble running lights, defrost, wipers and beacons. At idle everything was dim. I went to higher output factory alternators but they actually put out less at idle. Tried big battery, then dual battery, isolated batteries (sucked, wouldn't bother) My last older truck had two big Diehards in series, a Powermaster 145 amp alternator, 1.0 gauge battery cables, and switched from halogen rotators to strobes (low current draw) and that truck worked pretty well. Of course, those plows weren't even electric or electric/hydraulic. Now I have a 97 Chevy diesel with stock electrical; dual Diehards and a factory 110 amp alternator, and I run an electric/hydraulic plow, halogen rotators, LEDs, wipers defrost, lights, satellite radio, phone charger, sometimes a 12 volt electric heater under the seat pointing at my feet (I'm getting old) for when I have the window open. And I have none of the problems I used to have. My next truck is going to have heated mirrors and heated seats.

5. Detroitdan

Speaking of elecectrical problems, going to do a post on a Toyata problem I'm having. If anyone has a clue, I'm new at the import stuff.

6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

The heated mirrors are nice to have.:nod:

The heated seats are nice at first,,, Aahhhh a nice warm but!!!!
    But after a while it feels like you pissed your pants:dizzy:

sorry for the Hy-jack lol. now, back to the yoda..