1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Want to start with a Jeep

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by huntlvr, Nov 2, 2009.

1. huntlvr

huntlvr Junior Member
    from iowa

I'm wanting to get an older jeep again to beat around in late 70's or early 80's CJ. I usually go too far on fix up and maintenance so I will probably go too far and get a plow for it as well.
    What changes do I need to do or look for when buying a jeep to accomodate a plow?
    Don't plan to get too carried away plowing. Will do the neighbors and church for sure.
    Anything suggestions to start with.
    thanks

2. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

CJ's certainly have the look (and transfer case [D300]), but usually come with their fair share of rust, making a Wrangler a better choice.

Wranglers [1997-1995] have mandrel bent box frames (compared to two C c-channels welded together), and galvanized bodies on teh CJ.

I would suggest looking for a 1991+ YJ with the 4.0L fuel injected engine, carbs are a PITA. The manual that comes with 1989.5+ YJ's [AX-15] is a very good transmission.

3. huntlvr

huntlvr Junior Member
    from iowa

newer is better

Thanks I realize the CJ's were pretty rusty. The drive line was pretty tough and easy to work on was my main reason for considering them. If the YJ with a 4.0 and good trans can work thats not an issue. Will the stock suspension and drive line handle a plow hanging on the front or will I need to make changes. I'm not really looking for a off road or performance ride.

4. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

Assuming the plow weighs about 400-500 lbs, an add-a-leaf would help maintain suspension travel, stock packs will likely put the axle very close to the bump-stops, air shocks or air bags can help too. I picked up an add-a-leaf for my YJ with plow here http://www.bds-suspension.com/. They are usually looked down upon in the off-road world (due to harsher ride and less flex), but do add carrying capacity.

The drivetrain should be OK with stock tires (or ones not too big), just take it easy on it.

5. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

Great vehicle to start with...I'm surprised Plowmeister hasn't chim'd in...
    He could lead you in the right direction. JMO

6. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA