1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Want to plan ahead - What parts might I need?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Chandlerarms, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Chandlerarms

Chandlerarms Senior Member

I am patiently waiting for my BOSS Super Duty to be installed (hopefully Thurs. or Fri). Its being put on a 2001 Silverado 1500. I do realize I am pushing the limits of the truck, but it will only be used in the parking lot of our 62 space apartment complex.

The truck is stock. 93,000 miles. It is a Z71. Based on the speck sheet I received with the truck, it has a few things that I think are helpful, and some maybe not so:

K68 - 105 AMP Delcotron Generator
    FK2 - Torsion Bar Spring adjustment
    KNP - HD AUX Transmission cooling Sys

I have a SnowEx SP575 ready to be wired in. I am also adding a set of strobesNmore E series hide-a-ways in the rear. I have a pair of Timbrens that I hope to install prior to the install as well.

I am happy it has the aux trans cooling sys. If needed, I will take to a local tire shop to get the torsion bars cranked up a little.

I am a little concerned with the juice the truck is receiving. With the heat on high, when I power up/down the windows, the interior lights dim (quite a bit I think). Not sure how old the battery is, but its a DEKA P/N 778MF (CA=925/CC770). Should I replace the battery? I was thinking of going to a local big box auto parts store to get the alternator checked, along with the battery. I have read that Optima's were highly recommended in the past, but any quality battery should work? There also is room for a second battery, but I am still trying to understand what the simplest way to add one is. I am not too confident in replacing the wires to larger grudge cables, and grounding them ect. I guess I could see how it runs with all the equipment installed. Then I can replace the battery with a new quality battery, and if that doesn't help, add an identical one. I will leave the alternator upgrade for when the unit dies.

I am assuming the front end suspension will need normal replacement, so what should I look for in replacement parts? Replace them with OE (heavy duty parts), what brands, what retailers? I realize this is not a question easily answered without specific examples, but I just want to be ahead of the game when the time comes, and minimize down time.

Thanks in advance.

:help: