1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Want to move snow

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ben540g, Oct 11, 2008.

1. ben540g

ben540g Junior Member

I am interested in snow removal and there appears to be an opportunity in our area, I could rent a skid steer( I have considerable experience operating one) or have thought of buying a large WB snowblower. The work would be residential, small to medium sized drives, what do you think? tymusic

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

You're going to need to do your own market research and feasibility studies to detrermine potential demand and profitability for the approach you indicated. In my area, a skid steer or WB snowblower would be losing propositions. But in your area, it may be majorly profitable. You may even be establishing a niche market. You're going to be the best judge of that.

3. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

If your renting the only one making money will be the rental place.

4. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

Hey ben, what area in ottawa are you planning for your bobcat? slow road speed will mean all your properties should be close together.

5. ben540g

ben540g Junior Member

Black Irish,I actually live east of Ottawa closer to Casselman, so the work would be in the Casselman area, I hope to eventualy get some work in Orleans, I do constuction work in Ottawa for my "real job" If you ever need a sub on a skidsteer let me know eh!

6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Start small and do good quality and you will be starting a great business for the future.

7. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

Small world Ben, my shop is in Vars, 2 exits from you. Depending on how it goes for you I'm always looking for exp. winter operators. Lotsa hours. :)

8. jayman3

jayman3 Senior Member

tymusicHey Ben nice to have another guy on here from Ottawa I am sure you will learn lots of stuff hear.