1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

want to mount led's in the truck behind windshield

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by b97ranger, Nov 24, 2013.

1. b97ranger

b97ranger Junior Member

I have a 07 2500 ram QC , I would like to mount led strobe lamps at the top of my windshield inside out if the elements. Has anyone made their own custom brackets for this?? I know I could buy a set up to mount there but I already have lamps.... ideas, pictures????

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

are you plowing commercially or privately?
    just asking to see if you would benefit from another mounting option

3. BossPlowMaster

BossPlowMaster Senior Member

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=721358274546733&l=5715579098881061758

I mounted mine inside .... used industrial strength double sided tape ... the lights are pretty bright.... only thing is that it takes a while to get used to all of the glare.

4. b97ranger

b97ranger Junior Member

I have a led bar that has magnets I put on the roof but I have had it slide of the roof in the past and scratch the hell out of my paint... I aquired a kit of 8 leds that I could mount behind the grill but the plow would block them and give me flashback off the blade while I'm driving so Im thinking behind the glass would be my best bet for a mounting location. ..

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Ok. Just from my plowing in parking lots, sometimes the tk can get blocked by bigger vehicles and no one will see the lights

6. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

Velcro. I'll get a pic of the ones in my rear window.

7. b97ranger

b97ranger Junior Member

Never thought of velcro for the rear. .. that could work...

8. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

I did just realize that I may have an issue with that when I use the rear defroster ahah

9. b97ranger

b97ranger Junior Member

Well I dont have a rear defroster so that really is not a problem... but the rear sliding Window may be.

10. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

Can you post up some pics of the lights to help us come up with some more ideas just in case?

11. ProperLandscape

ProperLandscape Member

Velcro works the best and you can remove the units when needed. I just made u shaped delfectors out of sheet plastic to knock down the flashback. These can also be mounted with velcro. It not a super tight 'pimp my ride' installation but it gets the job done and can be removed quickly in the spring. For the fronts, i zip tied them to the grill.

12. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

13. b97ranger

b97ranger Junior Member

While at work I came up with an idea for the rear glass, I have a buddie who does HVAC work so I think ill persuade him to make me a piece of channel I can mount them in to put across the rear window and then I will use some door edge protector or weather strip around it to prevent flashback.

For the windshield im still somewhat clueless due to the curve of the glass.

But this is definitely going to be a hell of a project due to OCD with mounting things so once I figure this site out and get everything in hand I will try to find out how to post pics of my progress! But please keep the ideas and pics comming!

14. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

Here is a SNM E44 mounted inside of the windshield. I have a E66 mounted in the rear window. I already uploaded that pic somewhere in here!

IMG_20130315_155319_059 (640x360).jpg

15. b97ranger

b97ranger Junior Member

That looks nice! Is it mounted by the visor bracket screws?

16. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

I cut out a square in the metal so the visor bracket is really holding it but you could use those screws! I used gusset plates and bent them as I needed them.

17. Strobesnmore

Strobesnmore Senior Member

Have you looked at an actual interior bar. There are full and passenger side only models out there that are pretty reasonable.

18. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

He knows he can buy them. He already owns the lights and wants to make due with what he has. BYE!!!