1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Want to get Started.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by snowman79, Dec 8, 2009.

1. snowman79

snowman79 Senior Member
    from MidWest

Well I need a lot of help from individuals and those who have been in the industry for a while to guide me as I want to get something started. I have been plowing snow for about 5 years now since i got my license. I have run a lot of different equipment and know quite a bit about what all is involved in providing good ice and snow removal. I just need some help on how to start up, the legal/business end of it, and some help with bidding as I have never been involved with the bidding side of it. I am presently buying a truck a dodge ram 2500 with the cummins motor, and over the spring/summer am going to look for a plow and maybe a used salter. I have a couple guys that I have contacted in helping plow or "sub" for me as it will just be me as an employee at first. I currently plow for a company but this year I got the hours cut and wont be plowing as much as I did last year. I would like to run a snow plowing business myself as I can gaurantee that I will be happy with the way things are done and carried out. Thanks

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

The "search" button is your friend

3. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

absolutly. use the seach button. there are hundreds of posts and threads of knowledge that has been bestowed upon others in your position. guaranteed you can find what you need here without even asking a question.

could take you longer to get through the info on this site than to start the business. but minor details :salute:

4. Premis

Premis Junior Member

Here is some insurance advice i gave on another thread, hopefully this will answer at least one of your questions.

DISCLAIMER: My advice is based on the policy of the company I represent (Farm Bureau Financial Services) It may not be the same policy as your current company. Always talk to your agent for the final word, have them put their recommendations in writing, if they are scared to do that, RUN!

Any business or activity that produces secondary income (not your main income source) can be added to your homeowners Liability policy granted that the business produces over $1,000 a year but less than $100,000 annually. Any business or activity that produces less than $1,000 annually is automatically covered on your existing homeowners liability policy.

If you plan to plow and plan to add it to your home policy I suggest carrying at least a $500,000 liability limit; an umbrella policy for $1,000,000 would probably be the best.

as far as your question regarding business entity's, if you are small enough you can just use any name and your social security number for documents, then you will claim this extra income on your personal taxes. If you get much bigger I suggest forming an LLC. forming any kind of corporation will require you to get commercial insurance.

Hope this helps.