1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

want to expand

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by R.S. Services, Dec 28, 2011.

1. R.S. Services

R.S. Services Junior Member

I realize its too late for this year but for the past three years i have had one of my bigger loaders (volvo 120 4.25 yd bucket) and one plow truck sitting all winter thought about maybe trying for large lots like walmart , kmart etc. not sure is there a national list for bidding

2. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

Sub that stuff out.. Brickman or somthin. I see ads on C. List all the time Thumbs Up

3. R.S. Services

what is brickman

4. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

Oh boy, time to do some research here on plowsite, you will get your answers.

5. Marek

Marek Senior Member

Brickman will pay over 250 an hr for that loader around here.

6. R.S. Services

i found brickman on internet filled out there application to become a "service partner" i also read a lot of post that complain about slow pay i am used to that but no payment at all wont work

7. Lugnut

Lugnut Senior Member

Might be able to sub it out to a smaller company too, someone who has a mall etc. and avoid dealing with the nationals all together

8. motoxguy

motoxguy Senior Member
    from WI

Not sure what area your in but I'm sure there are many larger contractors that would.beable to keep a loader of that size very busy this winter still. If you do some checking around I'm sure you will find a contractor.

9. joester

joester Junior Member

R.S Services - I have work in the Philadelphia and surrounding areas. Where are you in Central PA? Let me know if you are willing to travel to this area.

10. R.S. Services

Philly is 3 hrs from me I still have excavating work through the winter here so i cant go that far thanks anyway

11. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

where in central pa?

12. superdog1

superdog1 Senior Member

I have no problem getting my checks? They cut them on the 10th of every month and by the 13th or 14th, I am at the bank! It is my understanding that they may have a few locations that are still not under contract. Just be sure to not jump at their first offer and make SURE you look at the location AND read the contract very carefully!;)

13. R.S. Services

near lock haven

14. R.S. Services

Thanks that makes me feel a little better

15. superdog1

superdog1 Senior Member

Just make sure you are 100% compliant. What I mean by that is you have the contract signed and their compliance department has cleared you for every step. They will check your insurance inside and out, approve your equipment list and in most cases, meet with you on the job site to verify where the snow goes and doesn't go etc.

If you are not compliant, it takes them forever to contact you for whatever information it is that they need. I would get in the habit of calling them at least once every 3 days or so to see if they need anything else. No compliance?, no check! Lol

16. R.S. Services

I guess if and when they call i will worry but sounds like if you work for these big national companies profitis at minimum or you dont work

17. Drakeslayer

Drakeslayer 2000 Club Member
    from Carver

Something smells fishy here......

18. superdog1

superdog1 Senior Member

I'm not sure what to say? Everyones idea of what a good profit is varies? Some guys will take them and figure it keeps the crews working and meets payroll. Others will say that when the season is over and you haven't made $10,000 over your expenses, it isn't worth doing?

You have to know what you need to keep smiling at the end of the day. Seasonals are just like going to Vegas. You may make out, OR, you may break even, BUT, you should never lose! With careful planning on your part, it should be a deal that you make $$ no matter what happens?. If they offer you a contract, make sure you take a long hard look at it. DO NOT take the first $$ they offer you. It is a game, so they come in low and you counter offer.

This late in the season, there is a reason that contract hasn't been filled. They could be offering a really lowball offer and everyone has run from it, or, the management of the location in question is hard to keep happy and all the local guys know it and won't work for them (even if it is through Brickman). It could be that there is a lack of contractors in the area that can meet their insurance requirements. Maybe there are just a lack of contractors period?

I am happy so far, but the season is FAR from over, LOl