1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Want to do snow removal this winter.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Eric Cartman, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Eric Cartman

Eric Cartman Junior Member

Hello everyone!
    I have had a few of my mowing customers this year ask if I do snow removal. I currently have a mid-size truck, a 5x10 trailer and a newer 26" toro snowblower to use. I only plan to do like 2-3 houses as I am only 17 and don't want to have a huge time commitment, just enough to keep me somewhat busy So, I have a few questions:
    1.will my general liability insurance from lawn mowing cover blowing? Or do I even need insurance if I am only doing 2 or 3 houses
    2.How do you do pricing, for reference we usually get 25-35" a year and I will be doing standard suburban driveways.
    Your input is much appreciated!
  2. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction Senior Member

#1 - ask your insurance agent. For me, my general liability covers slip and falls, buy I don't mow, and I have to worry about trips over extension cords, scrap lumber in the yard, etc. So I didn't have to add or change anything. If you ever add a plow, things will change. Always ask your agent about insurance questions, it's their job to know that stuff. I would always have insurance, it only takes one accident.
    #2 - figure out what you have to do to make a profit and price from there. My number is Kansas City will be different from yours, as will the guys who are from up north. Also keep your ears open around town. Just because you have a low overhead, if everyone is charging $50 a drive and you charge $20, you're lowballing everyone making them look bad and leaving money on the table.

I know I didn't really directly answer your questions, but these are both things you need to figure out on your own. Best of luck!
  3. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

I wouldnt go throwing the trailer on in the snowstorm with a blower on it if thats why you listed the trailer. Just throw the blower in the bed of the truck with anything else you might need (salt, shovels, gas, etc) I did that with my blower for sidewalks and build a wooden holder for everything in the bed, kept stuff from moving all about and made it so the blower slid into its spot and wouldnt move once the tailgate was up, no need to tie down anything.

But to answer your questions:
    1. Yes you need insurance, but talk to your insurance agent to find out more. Wouldn't want to not have it, have someone get hurt, and then get sued!
    2. I would say you could charge in a tiered way (ex 1-3" is $20 3.1-6" is $40 etc etc etc) But it all depends on how others in your area are pricing. Some people on here have noted that since blowers get right down to the pavement you may be able to charge a little extra. Wont leave the same hardback or anything on the drive like some plows.

Good luck! :waving: