1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Want to buy a skid ...

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by seventwenty, Jan 9, 2009.

1. seventwenty

seventwenty Member

Long time reader, first time poster...

I currently work for a smaller snow removal company, roughly 30 accounts, 4 trucks, 1 Case 570 and a Toolcat :)(). We seem to be steadily growing and with increasing equipment failure I've spoke with my boss and he has agreed to sub me full time if I have my own machine, I also have a few leads of possible side jobs for plowing and maybe some summertime work to help with the payments.

I've had my heart set on a Cat 287 for years but with the high cost of track maintenance it seems buying a wheeled machine at first would be the best idea in the long run so I'm currently looking for a 252/262 sized Cat machine, trailer and some sort of push/pull box for it.

I've been watching auctions for a while now on ironplanet and a $20k price range doesn't seem all that unreasonable, does it? Have many of you made equipment purchases from that site before? My local cat dealer is friendly enough and has even offered to demo me a machine for a weekend but he needs to eat too and his prices aren't even in the same universe.

Anything I should watch out for on the Cat machines? Suggestions on other machines? I plan to demo a larger Case (445 possibly), I have 1000's of hours logged in New Hollands and JD's and feel its time for a bit of a change.

2. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

If you are looking foe machines from auctions be carefull. Some of them are beat up. But you can get a great deal. I got a Bobcat T300 track machine with 150 hrs on it for $30,000. I got mine from a Ritchie Brothers auction. Try and see if there is one in your area or they also do it online. www.rbauction.com I would also buy a tired machine unless you have use for a track one in the summer. They are expensive to keep up. Good luck.

3. ford550

ford550 Senior Member

I own a CAT 267B and a JD 250 series 2. I bought the CAT used from one of our dealers and they were able to certify and warrant it for 6 month. I got a great deal as it was a 2004 with 1200 hours on it. It came out of the rental fleet. My JD I bought new 5 years ago and have not had any problems (knock on wood) with it either. I like the CAT for the tracks, never gets stuck and can work in any condition any time of year. The JD is wheeled and if its too wet and muddy, is pretty much useless. I love them both however b/c they both have the strengths in certain situations.

A new CAT 287 is going to set you back $72,000 (ouch), impossible to justify using for just snow (jmo). Even if you use it for snow and landscaping like we do I couldn't justify it. You can find a good used machine like my 267B for between $20k-$27k. Better to go this way in my opinion b/c the depreciation is already out of it, try to get it from a dealer or ransome rents type store and get it certifed. Cat has this program and you get a warrany too, but it has to come out of a rental fleet (if their selling one). My friend got a used 252B wheel machine at the same time and got a good deal on that too. You just need to look around. On rock and dirt, there are like 160 CAT track machines alone.

The only thing I would say watch out for is the high maint. costs of a track machine. During my warranty one of the tracks de-laminated. It would have cost me $3000 (for just one) if I didn't have that warrany. Hope this helps.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  4. charlefoxtrtot

charlefoxtrtot Member
    from MD

Skid Steer

I have an 2001 Gehl 7800 w/955hrs. on it for sale. all options heat/AC etc... dual hand controls. 10' push box will go with it. 110hp turbo diesel. No leaks, mechanically sound. Interested call me 410-320-1400 Jim. 22,000 for machine and push box.

5. seventwenty

seventwenty Member

That advice right there is probably worth a few grand on its own huh? Is that something offered by all Cat dealers on used equipment? I've been scouring the auctions sites for a 262B and have found a few to watch, I'm certainly not going to jump on the first one I see but if luck works out maybe I find an auction no one is watching and pick up a nice machine for low dough

6. ford550

ford550 Senior Member

And then some. Peace of mind too.

I do not know the answer to that question.

7. Spudgunner

Spudgunner Member

Good luck to you. I presently have a Toolcat and am considering adding a S250. Although I can imagine, I'm curious about the face you added next to the word "Toolcat". Having trouble with it? Mine is killing me this year in terms of availability. Thank goodness it's under warranty.

8. seventwenty

seventwenty Member

Yeah that pretty much sums up our experiences with the Toolcat. If you asked the person that designed it I'm sure they would tell you it wasn't made with the intent that people would use it for commercial snow removal. If I had a large piece of property to maintain or a few small ones I would defiantly recommend a Toolcat anything more? Get the right piece of equipment.

I'm still somewhat torn between a wheel machine and a track machine... Anything I might use the skidsteer for in the summer would be exactly what everyone tells me a track machine is great for! (working on established lawns, soft soil conditions, ect.). I imagine with proper maintenance and inspections you could limit the massive problems with the track machines (bushings/bearings going out and wearing the track frames out or a track de-lamination like mentioned above). Those repair costs could make or break me, which is basically why I'm trying to point myself towards the wheel machine. I know I can still do all the work I could with a track machine on a wheeled one, almost anyway, you just have to be a little more careful on the grass.

Ahhh... but the track machines seem like a little tank behind a 10' push box! wesport