1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Want to build my own controller

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Cmbrsum, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Cmbrsum

Cmbrsum Senior Member

I've always run smaller Buyers salters on my regular plow trucks. Those controllers are junk and go out very easily. I always run them at full speed so running a switch threw a heavy duty relay with built in breakers was not a problem. I just got a Snow ex 525. When that runs at full speed it runs way to fast and dumps too much salt. I need to slow down maybe in half. I was thinking a Ballast resister? Can they handle the power draw? How many ohms to drop the power from 12 volts to 6 volts? are there any other budget minded ways that can work good? Besides I hate the look of a big box mounted to the dash of my truck.

2. wva

wva Member

hi 550 ohms cuts 12v to 6v a rheostat I beleive is what you need like you would use for a ceiling fan :waving:

3. Cmbrsum

Cmbrsum Senior Member

550 ohms? Really most automotive ballast resisters are .7 to 1.5 ohms and they bring 12 volts down to 8 volts for running an older points style ignition. I was thinking a rheostat would not be able to handle the amps.

4. festerw

festerw Senior Member

How about a new controller from Karrier?

5. leon

leon Senior Member

control issues

Buy a G scale or O scale model railroad throttle control and you will be very happy. AKA Rheostat

6. Cmbrsum

Cmbrsum Senior Member

Thought of something else that might work. What kind of amperage is a trailer brake controller good for?

7. Hinkler

Hinkler Junior Member

Common electric trailer brake magnets use 3 amps each (6 for an axle).

8. Cmbrsum

Cmbrsum Senior Member

OK time to buy a controller. I tried running different ohms rating to find close to the right speed. 8 volts at about .5 ohms. Problem is it needs full power under salt load to get going. Then it backs off to the speed you set. I have noticed that in the past. Just never gave it much mind. Time to pony up the money. Still don't want to have an ugly box to look at hanging from my dash.

9. Reliable Snow and Ice

Reliable Snow and Ice Senior Member

well my buyers controller went out last year and i rewired it to just a power wire in the cab attached to a starter button then back out and then just a ground wire to the battery.

used it all year not a problem push the button it spins off it stops I just drive around pushing it haven't had a problem yet. tho i do carry an extra new motor just in case

10. Cmbrsum

Cmbrsum Senior Member

Yea, with the Buyers salters I always run them at full seed. This works well for all my lots. But this Snow-ex runs way too fast at full speed. It needs full speed to get started, but then needs to slow down to 1/2 speed. And Yes, I always keep and extra aftermarket motor on hand for my Buyers salters.