1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Want someones contract

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by joeymr924, Jul 26, 2005.

1. joeymr924

joeymr924 Junior Member

I just want someone to post their contract and then I'll pick through it to fit my needs. That's not asking to much is it.
  2. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

joey, how about you post your contract and were tell you what it needs..

I dont want to sound like an @$$ but one of the keys is your contracts. The contracts we use are some of the reasons were to the point we are today, besides the good work we do :)

IF you want help with your contract I'll be more then happy to help you, but I'm not going to hand you mine, and say there you go.

Let me know, if you need help
    Thanks & Good luck
  3. joeymr924

joeymr924 Junior Member

Ron, I don't really have a contract. Just getting into the business and I'm trying to come up with one, but it just seems to confuse me even more as I search for ideas. Basically what are the most important points that I need to include in a contract, besides pricing.
  4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Actually, pricing is the least important part. I would start by listing what services you offer (plowing, sanding, shoveling). Let the customer check what he/she wants. Then discuss triggers, times to complete services, maximum depths or times you will plow, a "hold harmless" clause and so on. Don't forget to show location to be serviced.
  5. joeymr924

joeymr924 Junior Member

What is a "hold harmless" clause. I know I may sound like an idiot but I'm trying to learn.
  6. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

well put mick, Joey i'll be more then happy to help.. Give me a call at 330-868-3972 and were talk.
  7. TriCountySnow

TriCountySnow Member

Tri-County Snow Plowing & Ice Control

Like the other company said, i would gladly take a look at your contract but there is no way in H _ _ _ that i will just hand one over, What do you need a contract for that bad anyways, Email a copy or post one and you will get help
  8. BayviewLawn

BayviewLawn Member

Ill show you mine!!

i can sorta see everyones point about the contracts.However if you dont live anywhere near the guy i doubt hes gonna move to your nieghborhood and use your contract against you!! Anyway...email me and ill email you my contract
  9. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

contract advice

The best thing anyone getting into this business to do is to sub themselves out for a couple of years. I did this, and boy do you learn lots of little things that I would not have thought of to put in a contract. For example, I have listed that I do not wait for the customer to move the car out of the driveway, and call backs for the town plow putting a fresh speed bump at the bottom of the drive way is NOT a freebee. Doing residential has tons of little things that if not expressly detailed up front will nickle and dime you to death. I wrote mine by downloading some free contracts, and by making a list of things that you learn from experience.
  10. All_Clear

All_Clear Senior Member

Most people wont hand over their contract for a few reasons...

They spent alot of time, sometimes money in lawyer fees...

Besides everyones will be different to suit their biz. However there are sample contracts online if you just hunt for them.

11. Snow-B-Gone

Snow-B-Gone Junior Member
    from Maine

Hey Joey,

I've plowed part time for 11 years and I've never had a contract. I've got two commerical and about 16 residential, It's always been a handshake and a tip of your hat. I've only been burned a couple of times but I dropped themlike hot cakes.

I guess we do things up here in Maine different. Most of my customers are friends or turn into friends as our relationship goes along.

Good luck!
  12. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Thats pretty cool that you trust your customers and they trust you like that..
  13. Donny O.

Donny O. Senior Member

I have mostly only done my own lot and home driveway...last year i did a few lots for someone and never got paid. this year i was thinking of maybe doing a few residential drives and planned on jsut a verbal contract as i'm not looking to get into buisness jsut want to make a little extra cash maybe. my question is for the residentials do you send thema bill or do you go to the door after you do the drive and say ive me my money or do you have some other set up.

i'm kinda figuring i would do it on an individual basis. talk to the person and come to an agreement on how they want it done(trigger point, time to be done by, etc) and how to pay for it.....but how do others do it?
  14. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Mostly I send bills at the end of the month. Some people aren't up yet when I'm there or they're getting ready for work. Others have already left. Besides taking the time to go to the door, get paid etc, just takes time. I've had a couple of accounts that wanted to pay each time so I'd leave a note showing how much they owed tacked to the door frame. Then the next time I plowed, there'd be a check tacked in its place and I'd leave the current note. One lady wanted to write me a check everytime I was there, so what I did was plow any amount of snow for the same money. Then, when she saw me plowing, she'd write a check while I was plowing. Then I could stop by the door long enough to get the check, say "thank you" and head on down the road.

Not that I have anything against gabbing with people on the route - I do that a lot. I just don't want to "chase" my money. Maybe they're home and maybe they're not. Maybe they're getting dressed, arguing with the spouse, changing the baby or going to the bathroom. Maybe they have the money and maybe it's got to wait till payday. Try to get a feel for what works best for them. Offer to send bills "for their convenience" and see how they react.