1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Want Posi in my 96 F-250....What and where to buy???

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by ybnorml, Sep 30, 2004.

1. ybnorml

ybnorml Member

I want to put a posi unit in my 1996 Ford F-250 for easier plowing this winter. It is the factory heavy rear, but am unsure of what rear it is exactly. I'm sure someone here knows.... I want to put a posi in and need to know what and where to buy this...... If more info is needed to identify "my rear", I'll be more than happy to............

Thanks in advance!!!!!!! ;)

2. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

You talking like a limited slip or and actual locker?
  3. ybnorml

ybnorml Member

Just a limited slip......
  4. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

You have a Sterling 10.25" rearend, if it has the hubs sticking out past the rear brake drums then it is a "full floater" (heavy duty) if it doesn't have the hubs sticking out then it is a "semi floater" (lighter duty). Aubrun Gear makes a great limited slip, that is the only one that comes to mind at the moment I know that there are others, just let me sleep on it and I will try and post back tomorrow. Another thing that you may want to think about is either an air locker or electronic locker.
  5. ybnorml

ybnorml Member

Thanks for posting Team_Yamaha..... My truck does have the hubs that stick out "full floater". I'll e-mail auburn and see what is available. Did Ford put a limited slip in these trucks as an option? If they did, I guess I could get one from Ford..... I know my truck would be more "usefull" for this winter if I can put a limited slip in it. I do appreciate your help......

6. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

i just went through the same thing. what i did might be more than you want to spend. all said and done 1300 bucks. but i have the best of both worlds ARB air locker it's open till you flip switch then it is locked. and team yamaha is right it is the ford 10.25 either semi float or full float.
  7. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

Yes Ford did offer a limited slip diff in the full floater. Almost every PSD 250,350 w/4.11's I have ever seen has had one. Mine has one in it. Heck, I will sell ya mine if you want it w/a new set of friction and steel plates too. Its in a 96 F250 PSD 4x4
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2004
  8. ybnorml

ybnorml Member

Ggg6. Yeah my truck is gas. I'd really feel better if it had a limited slip in it. I'd definitely be interested in your limited slip. What is the reason you are selling it?

9. ybnorml

ybnorml Member

Ggg6...... PM sent....