1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

want perspective on boss vs fisher

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by pipelayer, Jul 30, 2014.

1. pipelayer

pipelayer Senior Member
    from CT

I ran a fisher straight 8' HD last year on my dodge. I do light commercial, and residential drives, its a decent route, half dozen driveways, few lots. nothing huge, but im looking to expand to get larger lots and all that but that's a thread for a different day. however, I have a truck now set up for a fisher EZV, and I can run it, and put the straight blade on another truck, my only other truck. but I now have the opportunity to buy a like new boss straight blade, as well as an early rt3 v plow to run on two trucks as well, my questions are with longevity, reliability, and cost of ownership overall with these plows. everything I plow is paved, no gravel, no dirt roads none of that. the engineering questions I have is, is a full trip with a return shock on the straight blade, harder on the truck rather than the trip edge? how does the boss v compare to the ezv? I know boss are plug and play switching plows and all that but I would like to get everyones perspective on these plows. the main reason is Im running a v plow on my personal truck, and a straightblade on the other truck. I like to keep things uniform, and easy, and trucks can swap with the boss, but I would like to know what everyones opinion is with these plows, and who has run both and why. I cannot afford a new fisher, or a new dxt, so fleet flex fisher is out, and if I could afford a dxt, I wouldn't even be contemplating any of this. any insight is appreciated. I now run a 2500hd duramax diesel 2002 chevy, if that helps anybodys decision.

2. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Personal preference.

You'll need two v controllers for boss. But they can run straights too

3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Its a pissing on who's is better or worst. They all break. What you need is interchangeable..... Either all BoSS or Fisher.

4. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

Pick the best dealer, then standardize your fleet to what they sell.

5. pipelayer

pipelayer Senior Member
    from CT

How is the lift/drop cylinder, does it keep down pressure for back dragging, I know the fishers are gravity down

6. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

BOSS is gravity - I wish it was power down.

7. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

Pipelayer....What a Great name.....I consider Myself a Pipelayer....:salute:

Do you like the Fisher Plow you were using??.....Do you like the dealer in your area??

You will find people that swear by Fisher......You will find people that swear by Boss....Both good plows.....It boils down to dealer support for me....:salute:

8. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Gravity.

Power mount which I don't care for.

I don't really like the fisher mount either to many parts.

9. pipelayer

pipelayer Senior Member
    from CT

cant be interchangeable with the fisher cant afford the new fleetflex system. which Is why im leaning toward boss, however, if I run my fisher the startup cost is a little cheaper. and I learned something about the boss, so thanks, and as far as dealer support goes fisher is one town over, a mile from the boss dealer. the fisher dealer is bigger and more well organized, and I even worked for them as a tech, they are a bobcat dealer as well, so theres that.

10. pipelayer

pipelayer Senior Member
    from CT

I do like the fisher, but its always a pissing contest between people on whats good on what and whats bad on what. regardless I can get a boss 8' full trip that's literally been used 5 times, and is like BRAND new for almost nothing, which is why im considering the switch, and id like to run a V on my personal truck, so it all coincides right at the same time. and as far as being a pipelayer, that's my day and full time job :laughing::salute:

11. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

You can interchange fisher but you'll need both control harnesses in the truck. That may be an option if you can find a used set

12. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I used Fisher strait blades for 24+ years (still have 1 Jeep with Fisher). I got a Boss 7 1/2 V for my jeep (5 years)

Love the V
    HATE full trip
    For Fisher; 1 hose as a spare (Will replace any hose in a pinch) For Boss; you need 3 DIFFERENT hoses or a bunch of adapters (to get lost)

Hate the Boss mounting, Fisher easier to mount up, quicker too.
    I have done way more repairs on the boss than the Fisher
    I bust the wing return spring two or three times a season
    cutting edge cheaper for Fisher

Boss uses return springs to pull the wing back... fine untill you are pushing snow and want to angle the blade, all the snow on the wing SLAMS the wing back. and I mean SLAMS the wing.

13. maxwellp

Your 7 6 Boss does not have the flow washers in it. I have one that did not have them and put them in, wings come back nice and smooth.

Here is where you will find different opinions, I love the RT3 BOSS mounting system 30 seconds and it is on. Never had a problem with it, pulls itself on.
    Never replaced a trip or return spring.
    I have replaced only one thing on both of my BOSS plows, one wing ram would not come back. The smart lock part was stuck.
    One is a 2005 and the other is a 2010.

14. maxwellp

Two V controllers?
    Did not know they made 2 different ones.

15. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

V can run straight. He has 2 trucks

16. pipelayer

pipelayer Senior Member
    from CT

I have the straight blade wiring sitting in my shop, I can put it in my truck and run both, then put the set of straight blade ford wiring in my other truck, just have to get the correct light harnesses.. Just putting my feelers out to see what would be better and quicker and more business efficient in the coming years..

17. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I have used Fisher strait blades a lot and a Boss strait blade a few times and honestly I'd say they are equal in quality and they both work great. I like the Fisher push plates better than the Boss push plates but, that's about it.

18. pipelayer

pipelayer Senior Member
    from CT

Also it seems the e-z v doesn't have the pick up height that I'm looking for as we'll, is the boss comparable or is it higher..

19. Ryank

Ryank Senior Member

not sure why the ez v wouldn't have enough pick up height, my mm1 straight blade on my 97 f350 is still kicking ass. I had to replace 1 line in 2011 and i needed a new headlight wiring harness which was 135 dollars, and I the original chain was worn 3/4 of the way through one of the links so I replaced that and my lift arm, the triangular piece that the chain hooks snapped where the chain goes through. other that thing the thing is tough as nails. can't say much about boss. but i'm on team fisher for obvious reasons. also I've made snow banks on residential driveways that were over 15' with my straight blade and f350 pushing so not sure why the v blade wouldn't lift that high.

20. pipelayer

pipelayer Senior Member
    from CT

My straight blade picks up real high and I can stack quite a bit, I don't wanna waste the money on the ezv if I can't stack as high