1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Want info on USM and what they pay.

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Cmbrsum, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Cmbrsum

Cmbrsum Senior Member

I've seen the complaining and problems that USM and other companies like them are causing. I didn't start this thread to complain how they are going to put people out of business.

What I am looking for is an in to their web sight, or other companies like them, in order to see what they are paying in my local area for contracts. I want to know what kind of damage they are doing in my area. I don't want to sign up to be one of their lackeys.
    I just want access to see what people can bid on and how much they are going for.
    I do sub some Walgreens for a company down south and would like to see if the reason I'm taking a hit on salt this year is because of this company.

If you listen to this website you will know why we are all getting screwed
    http://www.usmservices.com/

2. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

I've got their contract if you'd like good bathroom reading material.

3. Cmbrsum

Cmbrsum Senior Member

Yes I would please. The more you know about the enemy the better. And the way I see it USM is every contractors enemy.

4. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

pm me your email and I'll forward it too you.....

5. slave2lawns

slave2lawns Member

It seems like every business has some sort of middle man. My brother-in-law owns a vending co. and he has to got thru a company like USM to get into the Homedepot and Loews.

6. Tubby's Snow Plowing

Tubby's Snow Plowing Senior Member

Just beware you aren't guaranteed payment from them and have no recourse to be paid for servies you provide.

Translation: You plow a customer. Customer doesn't pay USM. You don't get paid. You are screwed.

Once I read that line in the contract terms, knew to stay away. It's not worth it.

7. Cmbrsum

Cmbrsum Senior Member

YEA I read that line also. So what does USM do for their cut? I just hope to see the demise of USM and other companies like them.

8. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

Never heard of them around here and to be honest i do not want a middle man. The only benefit i could see is if you were to be paid for services rendered regardless if they got paid or not. Otherwise why would i do this job for someone else for less money than if i were to pick up the job and make all of it? I am surprised contractors do not cut USM throats doing this. Lets say USM makes $1k for a lot and a contractor does it for $750, now if the contractor knows he can do the job for $750 then what is going to stop that contractor from under bidding the USM the next year?

9. Cmbrsum

Cmbrsum Senior Member

It's all about the big picture. Walmart feels they can save money and hastle dealing with one vender. Let that vender deal with everyone else. They do the searching for the people that will work for next to nothing in this economy. There are people that will try to work for almost nothing. then these people are told what hoops they need to jump threw to get the job. And these morons do it. It just helps bring the economy down further. The upside is in a couple of years when little startup plow companies go broke, I hope they have some good equipment for me to buy cheap!!!

10. kandklandscape0

kandklandscape0 Senior Member

Worked for USM for 6 years now, Cally was fine for getting payments from.

Norristown is the worst ever.

I would never work for them again after this year. They are by far the worst. They have not payed for 8 months now.

11. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I am sure the ratio of getting paid 1,000 for the lot and subbing it out for 750 is way off. This is not personal knowledge, but I was told by a friend of mine in Kentucky, that he saw a copy of the letter to Wal-Mart with prices on it for the store he plowed last season. He says that the price he was under contract for was just less than half of the bill for that store. Then to boot, he only got paid for 2 months out of the 4 months he was under contract. So I would think that ratio is about 75% to USM since they don't pay, and 25% to the actual contractor that preforms the service. I warned him about them before he signed up with them, and now he wishes he would have listened.

12. slave2lawns

slave2lawns Member

8 months and still no payment ? Wow, the there's really no sense of even bothering to look into them.