1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

want dual alternators

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Ctll, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Ctll

Ctll Member
    from midwest

I have a 05 GMC 2500 HD Duramax with a single 145 amp alt and dual batteries. I have been looking into a higher amp alt but I was wondering if anyone has just order/ junkyarded the parts from a factory dual alt setup and converted. What all would I have to do to make this work. By the way I already have another 145 amp alt under the seat for a spare so if all I need is brackets and charge wire, belt and idle pulley to make it work that would be great:D. Any Idea if the wiring for the dual alt is hidden under the hood already on the Duramax?
  2. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I was thinking of the same thing. I don't have a spare like you but could get that part NP.. It's the bracket,pulleys and wiring. Time to start searching the Bone yards:rolleyes:
  3. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

4. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

go 2 a car audio shop they can do it for you
  5. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

If you go to diesel place and do a search there are all the part numbers to do it yourself. It's not that hard. I decided not to because the ECM won't allow the truck to use the extra amps anyhow, so it really isn't worth it to me.