1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

want a v plow, what to do

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by cnydreamr, Mar 8, 2008.

1. cnydreamr

cnydreamr Junior Member

Here's my story. I has a 1/4m drive, all sand and gravel, that I currently do with an old farm tractor with front blade and rear snowblower. It's taking way too long, 3-4hrs, to clean up a mild storm. I want a truck/suv with a v-plow. I also want to spend less than 10g. Do I buy something with the plow already there, or get the truck, then the plow? what kind/size truck do I need? Whatever it will be, it needs to be a driver. I would love a '95-up 1 ton with a 9.5ft v plow, but pickin's are slim. I guess I'll take what I can get, within reason.

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

You will want a minimum of at least a 3/4 ton truck. I like the Sno-Way V blades personally but all the V's on the market are good plows.

3. cnydreamr

cnydreamr Junior Member

I just found a '97 chevy k2500, 144k miles, pl/pw/cc/ac, with a boss v plow of that era, for 6500 neg. It looks decent, taken care of, I'd appreciate any thoughts, thanks.

4. csx5197

csx5197 Senior Member

Should be alright for your purposes. If your only doing one driveway then yea it'd work. But if you plan to pick up some more drives, and drive this truck other places frequently, maybe not. Would have to see the truck though to give you a better idea.

5. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

why do you day that? we have quite a few of that era trucks and they plow comercially and they have since new. a 97 with 144K has still got a lot of life left in it. granted these trucks do have some problems they are still good workhorses.

6. Jt13speed

Jt13speed Senior Member

It really depends on how beat the truck is. Make sure it runs good, and the tranny is alright, otherwise those trucks seem to hold up pretty well. Dont let that 144K miles scare you off, its not like it was plowing for all 144K.