1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Want a dedicated salting truck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by On a Call, Mar 14, 2015.

1. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

I just looked at a Top Kick as a dedicated unit. Has 64,000 on it and is a 1998 but in great shape. Has a heated bed and a spreader. Live hydro's.

he wants $ 13,000 for it, not sure if that is fair or not ???

Any thoughts ??

It is a manual shift also :(

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

3. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Yeppers :)

I just hate to buy the wrong truck...been there before.

Seems like I get put down for hyjacking threads then for posting too many times and then for whatever...some of you are a hard bunch to please ;)

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  4. dieselss

Ah I see. No on answers and you have to post again.
    Oddly familiar of someone else

5. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Who is this other person ?? Perhaps I am case of mistaken identity ?

My name is Brian. I live in Oak Park, Mi. and have a small landscape company in Toledo a hour drive ( not that matters ). If you happen to look on Trapperman.com you will notice early in the winter I made a post asking my friends there if any knew of a good Snow Plowing talk Forum. One suggested this site so I signed on.

I have been running my company for 35 years without really talking to anyone in the industry. Just doing my thing and learning through trial and error, working hard, and wanting to do a good job. So it was a breath of fresh air to meet you guys. I really am not about number of posts, showing off, but am about trying to help other and be helped in the process.

Again thank you all for your help.

Now...are Top Kicks worth having or are they too large for medium size lots 1-3 acre size.

6. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

This is who some of us think you are. You showed up the same time he disappeared. You have very similar posting style and same type of questions. You both start countless threads.

15228045-large.png

7. dieselss

I have been running my company for 35 years without really talking to anyone in the industry

For that long.....the questions you ask....You shouldn't have to ask them.
    And again, you asked in the OTHER thread, why did this thread pop up?

8. BigBoyPlowin

BigBoyPlowin Senior Member

Whats up Brian!
    Belated Welcome to the site.. You'll notice there is a tough/ mixed crowd here. Anyways..

Top Kicks are great trucks! The old and New(ish) ones. They stopped making they in 07/08.. They're great for Med. to large lots. Plus plowing they're tankssssssss! Even with a 10' blade. You'll notice a lot of guys go for the 4500 and f650's bc they're what you call derated trucks (I think). They're Under CDL even with say 3 yards of Material.. You Have to watch that if you don't have a CDL.. Bc once you hit 26k you need a CDL.

But The right driver can make do with it even in a small lot. Obviously in the smaller lots, you'll have to do a lot more reversing, but most are still doable.

We have a 4500 and it does all of our lots... Big and small. Great advantages of having a truck like that! So nice to load those trucks up with mulch too.
    Hopefully that answers your question... If not, feel free to PM me.

9. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

Topkicks are fine for a Salt Truck.....The truck itself was bought at auction...Painted and outfitted with a 7 yard Buyers Salter....It has a Cat and is an automatic.....:drinkup:

150309_0000.jpg

10. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

Just out of curiosity, how does the heated bed work? What is used to generate the heat?

11. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

I would guess it would be like other trucks and use the exhaust to heat the bed. Mainly used when hauling blacktop.

12. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

Never seen a set up like that before. How do they route the exhaust? Sounds like it would work well for hauling snow? The one time I hauled snow off a jobsite last year, I used one of my 15yd roll offs. It worked well except I had some that would stick to the bottom every few loads and I had to climb up on the frame rails under the raised bed and beat on the floor with a hammer to try to knock it loose. Got real old REAL QUICK. Suggestions?

13. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

10-4 yes it uses the exhaust with a floor chamber under the bed. It was not yet set up...but the bed looks new.

14. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Want to buy a heated floor :) !

I agree it might be a good method for anti stick for snow hauling.

15. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

I apologize if I am starting too many threads...it was not my intention. It was caused when someone told me to stop hyjacking a post.

If knew how to post a picture I would of myself...that is NOT me. He is way more handsome ;).

Anyhow...I will try to be a good guy.

16. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Nice looking rig.

The only real disadvantage to this truck i am looking at is the fact that it is a manual shift.

17. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Your pto options are generally cheaper and better with a standard. I do prefer an auto though. The bigger the salt truck the better it is. Most single axle 33k trucks will turn shorter then a pickup. Most of the time wasted salting is going to refill so size of lot means nothing a bigger truck is basically always better.

18. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Exactly JD....I took so many trips back to load up again. My one tons did well but it was just too much driving. Some of my jobs are a 30 minute drive from the shop. We always start with the closest job to lighten the load. I would much rather load once and head him out. And there are other benefits to having a large dump. I can haul my back hoe around now.

19. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

So ?

Who was that lone ranger in the photo ? Was he a jerk ? What was his posting name ?

20. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

The top kick. What series truck, 6500, 8500. Means alot as far as drive train goes. Air or juice brakes? PTO driven off of crankshaft or transmission PTO.