1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by rednecker, Dec 8, 2009.

1. rednecker

rednecker Junior Member

I'm in Atlanta, Ga where it almost never snows & NOBODY does snow removal. I've been contacted by US Maint. to bid on Walmart. I've been advised to run from USM -but with no construction down here, I need any work we can get, & should be able to get a good price since there's no competition. They pay per event, which may be 1 or 2 events (if any). I'll be doing most of the clearing with a rubber track skid steer, but am clueless how to price. Does anyone know about how long it should take to clear a 9 acre parking lot with a skid steer at about 5mph?
  2. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

9 acres with a skid at 5 mph?! A long damn time thats for sure. But then again I didn't even know you get snow there. Be very careful with this.
  3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Great, this makes #9,173 WalMart\USM threads now.
  4. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Welcome to Plowsite.

I must confess that I didn't kow they plowed in Atlanta either.

Feel free to use the search function as the answer to your question was posted just yesterday I beleive.

If you don't find it let me know and I will point you in the right direction.

Dang, you can count higher than I can.

How many toes do you have in those wooden shoes?:laughing:
  5. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

idk how much snow you get in an average event.

but could take you till the next snowstorm to clear the lot with just a skidsteer and no pusher.

how about sidewalks and salting the lot? gonna have to take all that into consideration
  6. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Hey rednecker.......you happen to know Roy Ashley?
  7. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

dont worry about priceing it to high, it will all be profit because it will melt by the time your a quarter way thru at 5 mph
  8. The Big Push

The Big Push Junior Member
    from Ontario

We look after large parking lots. One is about 9 acres. 2 12 foot blades, 12-14 mph, 4-6 hours. You can do the rest of the math. (average snowfall)
  9. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Bid it seasonal!
  10. The Big Push

The Big Push Junior Member
    from Ontario

Right. Now multiply your "per push" price by the average number of plowable storms you get in a year. Around here we use 15, but it sounds like you're considerably lower. Does the contract include salting? We usually figure on 3 saltings per storm (45)
  11. Kale Lawn

Kale Lawn Senior Member
    from Ohio

do yourself a favor.. just tell them $100,000 per event plus the cost of new tires on the skid steer
  12. firefighter1406

firefighter1406 Senior Member

I lived in Atlanta for 4 yrs. It snowed once there to make enough snow and ice to shut down the city. That year you could have made a killing with snow and ice removal. The potential is there you just dont know when it is going to happen.