1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Walmart Stores

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by john r, Feb 18, 2015.

1. john r

john r Senior Member
    from NJ

Does Walmart use a National service for snow maintenance? I could not believe what I saw yesterday. We had 5 inches of snow. I passed the WM at about 430am and saw two plow trucks. They were still there at 6pm and the lot was still not done?? Not even to mention salted.

2. J&L

J&L Member
    from Iowa

Not sure about your part of the country, but iowa (and I believe most of the midwest) is directly through walmart, no NSP.

3. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Really? Here I thought it was usm

4. J&L

J&L Member
    from Iowa

I think it was 4 or so years ago

5. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

The one here in Wooster pays for salt by the pound from what I've heard. Goes through the store/Walmart, not any NSP's.

6. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

Our Walmart is direct to contractor, they pay him by the inch, not very much, and now they asked him to stop plowing the parking areas only drive lanes, its a mess

7. John_DeereGreen

That sounds like a cluster...

8. john r

john r Senior Member
    from NJ

How can you make any money never mind paying insurance and other costs when WM wants to "cheap out"? I never contracted a large lot like Walmart but I bet ones ins. premium must be premium.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  9. Dan R 4000

Dan R 4000 Member
    from Oh

What jack wagons ours is never like that ours is a (0) tolerance I guess the plowers know what they are doing (NOT) :nono:

10. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

I don't really get how the (0) tolerance thing even works. If you get the least bit of snow on the lot your out of compliance with your contract. That means in a large lot like wal mart you would never need a pusher box or even a plow truck, you cant allow snow on the lot. You would just salt constantly with a storm or you are out of compliance. Atleast that's what the manager at our local wal mart thinks and you can imagine what I think of him.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  11. Freshwater

Freshwater Senior Member

0 tolerance is basically a unicorn in michigan. It doesn't exist. I guess you could build a plexiglass dome or something. In my contracts I use the term "continuous service".

12. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Zero tolerance only exists in Tovars patent. Zero tolerance can not exist in reality and should not exist in written specifications. People who agree to, or think they actually perform this type of service are dreamers and pikers. Lapeer touched on the problem with this. If one flake of snow or one small patch of ice lives you have not complied with your agreement. It's unacheivable and completely unrealistic.

13. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Back on track. Walmart. What a disappointment on every level. They drove countless mom and pop shops out of business. Their owners are all billionaires. They provide crap to their employees...other than today's breaking news. Big whoop. About time they were thrown a bone by corporate.

An outgoing VP makes the call to go with USM before he leaps with his golden parachute saving the company tens of millions of dollars on their snow and ice management costs. Turns out to be an epic débâcle. Even their top facilities people admit this huge mistake. They bail on the idea of an NSP moving forward. Then they ask for a focus group made up of professionals to help them re-write specifications and advocate for their future service providers to be certified and follow industry standards. They do agree that each store should hire their own service provider. Some are able to and some are not. Corporate picks a local guy as the regional service provider for the stores that don't get to choose their own service provider. In our area they pick an outfit who doesn't even acknowledge that they do snow work on their website. This outfit calls me in DECEMBER wanting to cut a deal for several stores. Still offering chump change too lol.

Very few succesful Walmart snow contractors out there. Corporate BS's everybody and most stores lose the service they need.

14. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

walmart around here are done through walmart. i heard a couple years ago they dropped usm and went to this way.
    as sad as it is to say, the contract we have with ferendino (only took it cause it was a steal and filled our last route) has a perfect "zero tolerance". it states it is bare pavement and it is to be plowed every 2 inches during a storm but is plowed as soon as snow is done if under 1 inch. it is easily explained

15. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Pray you don't have to deal with a claim. Please explain how you can agree to maintaining bare pavement conditions with a 2" trigger depth.

It's a disgrace to them that they do business with Ferindino. How current is Ferindino with you?

16. snowplower1

well i was very hesitant to do any work with them but my dad said give it a shot because it is a tiny property that we bearly spend 20 minutes at and get paid way too much for so we tried it and they have actually been way better than i thought. all payments have been received so far and pretty much on time.
    my only complaint is they call every day to find out if we had to service

it is not a 2" trigger. the 2 inch trigger is for during storms, that way it is kept up with

17. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

20 minutes at a Walmart? Ok...must be a tiny Walmart. Like half an acre...

Do you understand bare pavement conditions are not possible at all times?

A D- ranked lawyer could have a field day with you.

18. snowplower1

1. Never said it was a Walmart, it is a small bank
    2. Obviously they are not possible at all times. Nobody has seen the ground in my area in a wee. Salt is useless here right now but you are still to do everything you can to bring it as close to it

19. John_DeereGreen

You're missing his point.

You signed a contract agreeing to "zero tolerance" conditions. You do not have a perfectly clean and clear lot.

Therefore, you are out of compliance with your written contract specifications, of which any personal injury lawyer that even remotley knows what they're doing would have a field day with.

Better hope no one slips and falls, because it's your ass if they do.

20. 94gt331

94gt331 Senior Member
    from usa

I know of 2 local snow contractors in our area that handle the local walmarts. Both contractors work for the store independently. It seems to be a good relationship between both parties considering both contractors had the work for along time now. They both do good work also and keep there sites clear. They also have the equiptment to maintain them corectly. Thats the way to go, work one on one with the store.
    Fereandino and sons called me about the local target, would have been a nice job for us, but I just can't risk everything working for them.