1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Walmart Snow Contract

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by tman3007, Jul 19, 2010.

1. tman3007

tman3007 Senior Member

Quick question for everyone who still has (or thinks they have) Walmart Snow Removal Contract for the upcoming season.

I was just curious if anyone has heard if their Walmart stores are going to be USM or Non-USM. I have spoken to a couple of companies through this site who said that they are able to still work directly through their store and not through USM...some have been not so lucky.

We have serviced our location for the past 3 years providing lawn, sweeping and plowing directly through our store. However, our store manager cannot give us an answer for the upcoming season. He says that he doesn't know if our location will become a USM serviced store or not. Basically we are just hanging out to dry at this point...I want to be proactive and bid on other accounts for snow but don't want to take them on if we keep our Walmart.

I have been putting the pressure on our store manager to find out but he says he just doesn't know yet. Seriously...at this point I just need to know one way or another so that my company can move forward!!!

Are any of you guys in a similar situation?

Thanks.

2. snowbrothers101

snowbrothers101 Senior Member

USM awarded 1,000 more sites for next year. Stores to be told within the next 3 weeks if they fall into the national contract.

3. tman3007

tman3007 Senior Member

Thanks for the update Snowbrothers101. Not the news I wanted to hear but at least I have a timeline now. We were fortunate to squeak through last snow season but I feel impending doom approaching. haha.

4. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

If you lose out at Walmart, give Matson Snow a ring. He's over in Mich but he probably has a lot of extra work this year. I'm sure he wouldn't mind sharing. Only kidding.

Actually, good luck with Wallyworld and if it doesn't end up as your customer, good luck with whoever you pick up to offset it.

In any case, hope they tell you soon. Nothing worse than hanging around wondering.

5. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

6. tman3007

tman3007 Senior Member

Thanks Kramer and Mullis56...just sittin' on pins and needles like we did last year around this time. lol Time will tell!

7. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

tman - that article "news" on their page says that they MAINTAINED 1000 stores for Snow Removal!

8. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

its the end of the world as we know it (song)...

9. tman3007

tman3007 Senior Member

Well, the waiting is over. Store manager called me in today with what he said was some important contract info regarding plowing, sweeping and lawn. I already knew before I got in there what the outcome would be.

He showed me a letter from corporate that our location was going to be USM. We get to finish out the mowing season which is the first part of October up here in the mountains. Sweeping will end in January of 2011 and plowing is done for good. The letter he showed me actually stated that "all" Walmart locations would be USM now unless there was some extended contract that was in good standing.

It was a good run while it lasted...just thought I would share this info for anyone who might be in the same situation that we were in.

By the way, anyone want a Tymco street sweeper. I bought it exclusively for our one Walmart, it has had an extremely easy life the last 3 years.

Cheers,

Todd

10. ff610

ff610 Senior Member

How much for the sweeper?

11. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

Tman... Why dont you see what you can do with USM? Maybe keep an open mind, unlike many sheep on Plowsite who know a guy who has a friend that got "screwed" by USM. I am very familiar with Woodland Park and the Wal-Mart there (I summer in GMF) and I doubt there are too many in and around WP that can service that size of account. Unless it has changed, USM does not "self-perform" in CO, meaning theyll be hiring subs, including for plowing and sweeping of your store.

12. tman3007

tman3007 Senior Member

Hey HOSKM01,

I appreciate the optimism but that contract from USM is way too risky for snow removal. Plus they contacted me last year about that location and the numbers being discussed were not in the same ballpark as to what we would deem profitable.

By the way, Green Mountain Falls is a very cool place to go for the summer. We have done extensive landscaping in that town...one in particular on the corner of Park and Hotel. It is the one with the outdoor theater/stage. He's a great client.

Thanks for the post!

Todd

13. tman3007

tman3007 Senior Member

FF610...I sent you a PM in regards to the sweeper.

Todd

14. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Tman.... they contacted me last year and wanted to know if I was interested in doing our wally world... they gave me the "price" I laughed at them and told them that figure wouldn't even cover the cost of salt!

Hosk.... I see your a CSP, so I'm pretty sure you've seen the contract..... If your willing (or have too) sign that contract then more power too you. You've got bigger balls then I do.

15. tman3007

tman3007 Senior Member

Hey Mick,

Same thing here...I almost fell out of my chair when they told me what they were offering. Like I said on a different post; I mean no disrespect towards any contractors that decide to work for you know who but how on earth can one make a living with those rates.

I will bet my life that the percentage of slip and falls are gonna go through the roof on a national basis because of all these nationals driving prices down to dirt. Like you said, their rate wouldn't even cover the cost of salt for the season! Not in my neck of the woods for sure.

I can't wait to see the posts during this upcoming snow season. Gonna be fun!

16. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

Small world. Our place is three down, on the south side of park, next to the stream. I was at the "house-warming" party/bbq when that place was finished. AWESOME job you guys did! I enjoy coming up the hill to see that place on the corner. The owner, from NY I believe, is a cool guy indeed!

I've read it... it sucks, like everyone agrees! Curious; has anyone ever changed verbiage in the contract, signed it, and sent it back? With maybe tens of thousands of contractors, would they ever notice until they get sued and pulled your contract? You buy a house or a car, or take a new job, the "contract" including price, is always negotiable, right? Why not give it a whirl here.

I appreciate reading the FIRST-HAND accounts of working with USM. Of those that I have talked to or read posts from, on and off of PS, the consensus is pretty split, good and bad, concerning USM. No doubt that the prices go down with National-type management companies. I hope most are right, that the level of service will convince these companies to go back to the way it was before- subbing out of each store. You get what you pay for!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  17. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

The curse of open forums......jeeeez.

Surreptitious be gone. :cry:

18. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

Yeah, cause Fran, or whoever it may have been, is going to read this and pull the fire alarm over at USM.

19. tman3007

tman3007 Senior Member

Hey Hoskmo1,

Wow, it really is a small world! I was at the house warming party that night too! He has bought up half of that town over the years. This past summer he bought another 90 plus acres in GMF and he just emailed me a few weeks ago to tell me that he purchased one of the historic motel sites down by the Pantry Restaurant. It is pretty much a dump, so he is gonna demo a large portion and try to renovate part of it for historical value as well.

Well, there is your latest GMF gossip for this summer. Look for us in town when you come up for your summer visit next year.

Cheers, Todd

20. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Fran who?...........:rolleyes: