1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Walmart Plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JKMATHIEU, Oct 20, 2009.

JKMATHIEU Junior Member

Hey Fellas....Here is the skinny...Walmart is playing stupid with us ( one manager said shes never heard of USM) USM also is not giving any info. I beleive that they want us to set their accounts up so they would be covered if it snowed even though they know its gonna be musical contractors in a few weeks. I for one will not be placing anything on my sites until I get some answers. If and when USM takes these accounts we will be walking away from 2 Sams Clubs and 3 Walmarts because NOBODY can make money with USM. Played that game, Got that t-shirt........All set!!!!!!!
  2. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

I agree that USM is probably trying to see if they can get enough contractors at this point to do the job. This one isnt over yet.
  3. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Guys, I have that T-shirt too..........and one that says I'm a Dummy is plenty. I don't know about you guys but and I definitely don't know the particulars of the deal, but from what I've seen I'm pretty sure it's a done deal......
  4. FEFMedia

FEFMedia Senior Member

There is other work out there besides USM "Controlled" lots. Dont sweat it. I would put my equipment there either though.

I worked at Home Depot many years ago.. I have seen the Profit and Loss statements. A store will still pay for the snow removal. All USM is doing is shopping for the best price. You got yourself a middle man.

Yeah I know loosing a parking lot that large can suck but there is other work out there. Just have to go for it..

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

The Meijer and Home Depot lots here are bigger than the walmart lot is. K-Mart/Sears has a pretty big shared lot I believe is bigger as well. One in a few guys ,just one in a few.

Drive around your town and look at all of the commercial lots. Every lot has to be plowed and USM can not get em all. When people are shopping at Sears or Home Depot because customers can not get in/out of the walmart lot things will change.

I am not sure I have plowed the same lot 3 years in a row yet I stay busy every winter if there is snow.
    Stress only hurts you if you let it.
  6. Pennings Garden

Pennings Garden Senior Member
    from VA

I don't think so,

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Posted this on the other 2 WM\USM threads, so I might as well here too.

What makes you guys think that Wally World will care about lesser service if they're prices are significantly lower?

This is the company that has introduced the lowest priced goods for everything. And if you don't like it, don't need it or just want your money back, they FORCE the vendor to take it back, for no reason?

So with an attitude like that, why do you think it would matter to them as long as people still can get in and out?

Where else are they going to cut costs? Utilities? Property taxes? They have beat down every other supplier and now they are moving on to the next in line. Just look at their landscapes, they don't spend squat on installation or maintaining them, and now you think they are going to care that a bunch of plow jockeys are ticked because they won't plow for what they did last year?

Sorry, but I think if you believe poor service is going to drive them back to reputable contractors, I think you're in for a rude awakening.
  8. procut1

procut1 Senior Member

Mark nailed it.

I also preditct this.

There will be isolated cases, however, I dont think as a whole they are going to get bad service.

They will get guys who dont know their costs, who can cover working a while at a loss, and the job will get done.

Ive done it in the past. Bid something wayyy to cheap.....Lost my butt.

But the customer still got the job as if they paid what I should have charged.

And everyday there are new companies in business doing just what I did.