1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Walmart/Lowes Equipment..............

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by southsideone, Nov 22, 2006.

1. southsideone

southsideone Member

what would be your ideal equipment to plow a walmart/lowes type lot? im just curious to see what everyone runs and opinions on most efficent way to plow them. how many trucks? skid steers? loaders? etc.

2. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

A loader with a 20 foot degelman box.

Or bigger if they have them.

And at least one plow truck with a V Blade, and a man to do walks with a four wheeler.

But for the prices I hear they pay...you couldnt possibly aford to send the proper equipment there or keep it there to do the job.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2006
  3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

LLM Ann Arbor, How much is lowes paying?

I see new equipment at the local store. nice box blade aand loader too....

But a couple of trucks could do the lot also.

4. murray83

murray83 Senior Member

There are different size Wal-Marts so i'm taking a wild guess at the size of the lot in question.

I like the K.I.S.S method a loader or backhoe can do 75% of the work in a typical lot with a decent sized pusher,just need to sand and do small clean ups and that can be covered by 1 simple 3/4 ton truck.

2 guys,2 pieces of equipment + a sidewalk crew and thats up to you and the size of the storm.

5. murray83

murray83 Senior Member

What type of company is doing the plowing? Landscapers or excavation?

More than likely its excavation guys useing the loader they use year round and pays for itself during that time to keep busy and make extra cash during the off season.

6. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

All I will say is,
    I hope you have enough to do the job!!! I would probably go with a loader, or something that could accomidate a large pusher. Then maybe 1 or 2 trucks, preferably with vblades.
    Good luck, and hope you get it

7. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

walmart put all 3 trucks skid steer on it and id do the walks with my s10 and then have someone doing skiny walks with a blower.....if it was the lowes....our three trucks the skid and prob get a loader box in and then have three guys on smaller walks and me on the walks in the s10....

8. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

I don't do the one here but know what they use. Local construction company brings out 2 graders, 2 loaders and a pickup truck or 2. They push the snow into piles and then truck it away every event. After that they send in a 5 ton sand truck.

Forgot to mention the equipment is driven there every event as it's used at other locations.

9. murray83

murray83 Senior Member

Graders? the rate they'd be charged out for would be much more than a loader I'm surprised the managenment firm would pay those rates.

I would never leave my gear at any site,last thing I need would be some kid chucking a rock at my truck breaking a windshield upping my insurance,not like it doesn't already cost enough :rolleyes:

10. heavy detroit

heavy detroit Junior Member
    from Livonia

big lot

A loader with a large pusher, 1 or 2 trucks with straight blades, a sidewalk crew, and a salt/sand truck will get the job done. The v-blade could be used but I have never had a use for it with a loader onsite. While the loader is doing the main lot the truck can open up the roads and behind the building with no trouble.

11. DugHD

DugHD Senior Member
    from Maine

I plow wal-marts with one 4x4 backhoe with 12'push box or 12' power angle plow depending on the snow. One skid steer CTL with 10' power angle plow to buzz around the building , sidewalks, loading dock etc. When the skid steer is freed up from the tight spots he helps out in the big lots. Also two trucks with 9' plows . doug