1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Walmart called

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NoFearDeere, Oct 17, 2010.

1. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Got a call from the local Walmart wondering if I could bid on it. Guy thats been doing it has had it for 10 years or so. My question is....is there really money to be made with it or is USM beating down the prices? How much cash we really talking about for a season? Im guessing I would have to upgrade insurance policies just to satisfy them (and protect myself). Any help is appreciated!

2. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

Is it Walmart or USM that is asking for a bid?

3. SNOWLORD

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

Can you make money plowing for Walmart Yes.
    Can you make money plowing for USM NO.

4. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Walmart manager is the one that called but he said corporate might take over the bidding process....I asked how the hell he doesnt know yet??!! And they might..??:confused:

5. snowtech

snowtech Member

you can make money plowing for walmart, and you can make money plowing for usm. we plowed for usm one year and were getting a handsome rate. they were slow to pay but thats why we charged so much. they paid all their bills, usually about 60 days late, but paid them all and as i said we charged more than normall expecting that problem. the next year we lost the account because someone else bid it cheaper. so the moral of the story is bid your numbers and pay no attention to what you hear, know your numbers and if you get it you will make money and if you dont get it you didnt want it anyway.

6. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I know ballpark prices here. They were all done by the hour. Not sure how much money they actually made. I couldn't compete very close with them.

7. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

bid it for what you would do it for. If you get the account make sure your insurance is proper and if necessary up your insurance.

8. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

you can make money plowing for anyone....you just have to know your costs and bid accordingly