1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Walmart bids

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by IA snoman, Jul 16, 2015.

1. IA snoman

IA snoman Senior Member
    from Ia

Hey guys looking for some info here. I am wanting to bid on a local Walmart this year for snow removal but I am not sure who to contact. I know that USM used to handle it for them but I thought they lost them as an account. Just thought I'd throw this up to see if anyone knew anything. I can contact the store manager if this leads to nowhere. And yes I have dealt with Nationals and they can be a pain in the ass.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Why ??????????

3. DeSnowman

DeSnowman Member

It is a pain in the ass. contact your local store manager let them know your interested. Then you have to go online at fixbook.com. You have to register as a vendor for the company. Now be prepared to go crazy filling out paper work and watching videos. But after you go through all that BS it doesn't guarantee anything. Once your approved as a vendor it allows the stores to seek out vendors in there area. Then they will contact when a vendor is needed and ask for a bid.
    Good Luck

4. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Boredom, Store Discount????

5. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Some will do anything for the glory of plowing chinamart

6. robber27

robber27 Member
    from NE Iowa

Not this guy! I'm too busy for that kind non guaranteed of bull$***, all that leg work for a lot half full of cars and crazy people jockeying for the closest possible parking. I'm sure the bids half to be dog eat dog? Not to get off topic but can anyone here comment if the margins are worth the stress?

7. Maclawnco

Maclawnco Senior Member
    from OH

The only thing worse would be the numbers bfs is offering on Target sites.

8. IA snoman

IA snoman Senior Member
    from Ia

Amazes me how some offer no help but instead mock others with honest questions. All they do is troll.

9. IA snoman

IA snoman Senior Member
    from Ia

I have my reasons. I have some holes to fill this year and limited contracts out there. Don't want to low ball others and get into that crap trying to steal accounts from locals. Current business is not local, not even close. Just thought I'd check into it.

10. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

Some of those Wal-Mart's won't let you do just one, they want you to do 2 or 3 around the area. They want you to store your equipment/ loaders on site. Just be prepared to carry your overhead bill for awhile until you do/ if get paid. That's alot of labor and salt costs to hold onto until you get the check to pay off all those costs. If you figure out what your salt costs for that lot alone each event,and for the season, it might not be close to what they're willing to pay for it and how many total salting events.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
  11. IA snoman

IA snoman Senior Member
    from Ia

Thanks for the heads up.

12. 1olddogtwo

I'm sorry if I offended you, I would think somebody of your intellectual level would know when you're being mocked for good reason. Very few contractors here on plow site speak highly of Walmart I'm sure there is a few that do ok maybe even better than okay. I know of 3 who are out of business now after the 12-13 seasons that had Walmart.

If trolling is mocking u for good reason, then I'm proud to be a troll

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
  13. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

Did those 3 get paid anything from Wal-Mart on their final season or did they have to carry too large of a overhead for to long?

14. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

Service Channel is who we had to get signed up with a couple years ago. Its wal marts payment distribution company. They paid promptly and the amount wasn't too bad, it was the store management that was hard to deal with. They would try and treat you like one of their minimum wage employees.

15. 1olddogtwo

Two never got paid from the Walmart middle man, I believe the 3rd just took on to many seasonal. All 3 IL or NwIn contractors, two members here on PS.

If this post came out in Nov, I'm sure they would give their story when traffic is high.

We took care of a ton of them under different contracts for years, once the middle man became involved, we walked.

In my regular job, we have contracts to service Walmart, hell I've done the one in Joplin after a tornado split the store into, we had no problem getting paid on a million dollar lost. We also are the exclusive contractor for Target, once again, no problems.

Both have their little quirks on the T&M billing like only paying 1.3 or 1.8 instead of paying 1.5 and 2.0 on overtime. I could go on but I think you get the point.

16. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

So when your dealing with the national for Wal-Mart or Target how many middle people are you dealing with that has to do with you getting paid for the winter services provided?

17. 1olddogtwo

How many fingers you got?

18. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

if you want to offer helpful suggestions on whether or not to bid a Walmart then that's fine...if not, then no need to respond.

19. 1olddogtwo

MJD.

We all know Walmart/NSP is a touchy issue, I thought this was a good thread and helpful and more importantly, factual.

I hope this one doesn't end up on the editing room floor or locked down.

20. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

then let's keep the thread decent and "helpful" with the advice and/or suggestions and all should be fine